Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe, 289 V8
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 coupe with a 289 v8 4 speed. The body is in great shape other than some dings in the paint. When I picked up this car I was looking for a replacement for my daily driver. (Pos cobalt) but I saw the mustang and had to have it! So I picked it up and bought another pos for my main form of transportation. But my main goal was to make the mustang as close to a daily driver as possible!

The suspension had been redon before I got it so the shocks are in great shape. Even got air shocks on the rear.

I've replaced the....
  • Alternator
  • Radiator
  • Fan
  • Belts
  • Front drums/shoes/springs (plan on converting them to disk at some point though)
  • Repacked all the front barrings
  • Gas tank/ fuel pickup
  • Revived the headlight harness
  • Replaced the igition harness
  • Cleaned up the underdash wiring
  • Changed all fluids and filters
  • Inspected all brake lines and the gas line(great shape must of just been replaced)
  • Cleaned the rust out of the interior and gave it a paint job to help prevent anymore rust
  • Replaced all spark plugs and the wire that runs from the distributor cap to the solenoid
I still plan on...
  • replacing all exterior lights
  • Redoing the drum breaks for the rear
  • Clean up the paint and chrome
  • Put new tires on it(although the one currently on look great with no craking)
  • I might need to replace the power steering pump or just hoses
  • Rebuild the carb
I can't think of what else I should do to make sure its good for driving a couple days a week and a road trip or two. Any suggestions would be awesome!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yikes. Do you run a tally sheet of expenses -- of total cost of the car so far?
The point being that this often sobers one up in regards to benefit of owning the car vs cost of owning the car (when compared to a "sensible car" as a father would tell his 16 year old daughter)

·
Dimples
4,651 Posts
There's lots to it, probably too much for one thread, but I'll say the priority should be making sure the brakes are squared away.

Also, consider adding 3 point seat belts in the front and ditch the air shocks in the back. Our cars weren't designed for these and they can damage the shock mounting points in the body.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Another recent thread talks about the same stuff... Carry a few tools and spare ignition parts, a fire extinguisher, gloves, a reliable jack and lug wrench with a good spare tire. Make sure your wipers and horn work well. When replacing exterior lights, most of us recommend LED tail lights (requires a flasher swap), halogen or LED head lights, and I recommend a good cup holder!

Reactions: Justxaj and BlakeTX

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
i agree with ditching the air shocks in back. as for the rest, remember that this car is 54 years old, so it will have some niggling issues to deal with from time to time. a simple tool set, and a few spare belts, hoses, parts and fluids, oil, coolant, spare fuses, are a good idea.

in the end you can make your mustang a daily driver, in fact the more you drive it the better off the car is. just remember that you will have to tinker with the car from time to time t keep it running right. simple stuff though, like regular oil changes, plug changes, car tuning from time to time.

s noted, best make sure your brakes are up to snuff, and if you havent already, swap to a dual master cylinder, there are kits to make that happen from a number of suppliers, or you can roll your own as its easy enough to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yikes. Do you run a tally sheet of expenses -- of total cost of the car so far?
The point being that this often sobers one up in regards to benefit of owning the car vs cost of owning the car (when compared to a "sensible car" as a father would tell his 16 year old daughter)
When I was thinking about getting the car I sat down and ran a budget of what I could afford for the year. I decided getting the mustang wasn't unreasonable. I was about to get a Nissan versa with 90k on it for a 1000 and I could more than afford to pay for the mustang out of pocket but sense I'm only 22 i need to build some more credit. So I got a personal loan for 9k for 6 years its a nice easy monthly payment and I can pay it off anytime which i plan to do so in the next 3 years. I asked for 9k so I could have extra money for parts. I got the car for a little over 7k. As of right now I still have 700 to play with before I hit my loan limit and I start paying out of pocket. I understand where you are coming from though and fully agree. But I've talked it threw with my girlfriend( soon to be wife), my parents, and my grandparents. No one could make an objection to what I had planned.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
didn't know that airshocks could be an issue! It makes sense though I'll have to replace them. I didn't even think about the windshield wippers either... guess I'll be adding that to the list. My step dad worked in a garage for a long time and he recommended getting spare hoses and belts so I have an extra set of belts, common hoses, and filters. I also bought the oil in bulk so I have enough for 3 more oil changes. Also I can't remember if the master cylinder is stock or not so ill be checking that out!

·
Dimples
4,651 Posts
Looks like you did well on the purchase price. That helps a lot.

Looking at the pics in your other thread, it appears you have the stock single-pot master cylinder. That’s the first change I would make.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its on the list!
Looks like you did well on the purchase price. That helps a lot.

Looking at the pics in your other thread, it appears you have the stock single-pot master cylinder. That’s the first change I would make.
Its on the list!

·
Registered
467 Posts
When I was thinking about getting the car I sat down and ran a budget of what I could afford for the year. I decided getting the mustang wasn't unreasonable. I was about to get a Nissan versa with 90k on it for a 1000 and I could more than afford to pay for the mustang out of pocket but sense I'm only 22 i need to build some more credit. So I got a personal loan for 9k for 6 years its a nice easy monthly payment and I can pay it off anytime which i plan to do so in the next 3 years. I asked for 9k so I could have extra money for parts. I got the car for a little over 7k. As of right now I still have 700 to play with before I hit my loan limit and I start paying out of pocket. I understand where you are coming from though and fully agree. But I've talked it threw with my girlfriend( soon to be wife), my parents, and my grandparents. No one could make an objection to what I had planned.
Smart move -- and you're only 22?? Way ahead of the Maturity and Wisdom curve for your age!
I think it took me till about age 40, and in some cases, sometimes my M&W lapses even now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts