Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

So with the talk about how many fastbacks... I’ve read multiple places that there were about 25k GT coupes produced. Something tells me that even with natural attrition, there are more now (fakes) than were produced lol. I’m leaving as much of the tell tail signs untouched as it will be harder and harder to prove as real as more cars are resurrected from rust and the harder to duplicate (frame rail, exhaust support etc) items are made “true”.

Chris

·
Registered
21 Posts
My 66 GT, A code coupe sat for 30 yrs or so in an extended family members garage after they bought it in the mid 80's, last driven in 1988, per state inspection sticker on windshield. I got it 2 yrs ago, motor and 4 speed rebuilt, new paint and some interior work. Runs better than I thought it would, still needs new radio and rally-pac to finish it up

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Genuine 65-66 GT cars are probably my favorite Mustang. The GT package is a nice blend of performance and visual components. I have a factory and still mostly all original 66 GT convertible and the the tone of the exhaust really is unique. It really is disappointing to see so many GT C code cars out there on Ebay and Craigslist. Unfortunately, pretty much every component of the GT package can be easily replicated (with the exception of the rear frame rail reinforcements and maybe the GT foglight wiring enabling instrument and tail lights). As we know, Ford made all of GT components available for customization or for individual purchase at the dealership. Ultimately, not having factory records for 65-66 cars also adds to the confusion.

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
I have a 66 coupe with a ton of options and a friend asked me why I didn't just "make" it a GT with the addition of fog lamps (which I love), ornament delete and add stripes when I do my repaint. My answer: loyalty.
My dog is always going to be MY dog.
I suppose a fellow can add or take away a few "parts" but he's still a man in his DNA.
IF I wanted a GT, I'd go out and buy one.
My car is unique the way it is.

·
Registered
36,486 Posts
Unfortunately, pretty much every component of the GT package can be easily replicated (with the exception of the rear frame rail reinforcements and maybe the GT foglight wiring enabling instrument and tail lights). As we know, Ford made all of GT components available for customization or for individual purchase at the dealership. Ultimately, not having factory records for 65-66 cars also adds to the confusion.
I believe someone is reproducing the rear frame spacer, and of course the under-rear-seat panels have been available for years. The foglamp wiring, which ties in the taillights and instruments, has been available for decades.

We'll never know the exact production figures for the 65-66, Ford destroyed the data in 1979.

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
I wish there was some way of doing a registry.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The In Search of Mustangs Registry was started in I believe 1979, but there doesn't seem to be much participation there. I have not added my 66 to it yet. If I do, I won't be giving my physical address. There is a website.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts