Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I am still fairly new here. I took some recent pics of my car, but I misplaced my camera...need to find it this week.

So, I bought my car in 1986 when I was 16. It was sitting in a parking lot just SE of Phoenix...I forgot if it was in Mesa or Tempe. Candyapple Red, white vinyl top, red Pony interior, 289, duals...needed a lot of work. When you are in high school, $1350 was the perfect car.

Original color: Silver Frost

We moved to IL from AZ in 1988...it sat until 1995 when I rebuilt the motor...it sat until 2009 when I rebuilt the C-4 and re-gasketed the motor...Between high school, college, grad school, and other training, the years just ticked by and did not have the funds in those years as well.

So, 2010-2011. I decoded my data plate again. I was young and stupid and misread the data plate back in '86. I always assumed my interior was red Pony since it was about 60% done at that time (it looks worse now from sitting and doing work on the car). The code for red Pony is "65"...my car, as I found out this week is coded "66"..BLACK PONY.

I am glad I found out now before I started to work on the interior. So, here is what is going on:
-rebuilt the Holley 600 (sits on top of an original '67 GT-350 intake)
-engine bay done
-resprayed underbody
-Waldron Arvinode Exhaust (concourse)
-FPA tri-y headers
-rebuilt the front end, rebuilt the steering, new rear leaf kit, new shocks (Opentracker)
-new gas tank, sending unit, fuel line (the nice Canadian tank)
-new 15" Styled Steel Wheels with tires (Coker was a pleasure to deal with)

Next?
-sell my old Styled Steel Wheels...3 66's and 2 67's
-sell some of my red Pony Interior parts...including a few new things I bought
-buy a black Pony interior kit
-find a good body and paint man in Illinois..car is primed
-lose the white vinyl top
...that should get me through the winter and spring.

...will post pics soon. It is not a pretty sight right now though, but it shaping up. I had no idea that storing a car for so long could take it's toll...even being stored inside.

Thanks.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very cool, welcome to the forum!

How do you like that Arvinode Exhaust?
Thank you...I have not driven it yet, but at idle and with slight revs, it sounds just I had hoped it would. It is so difficult to pick out an exhaust system.

Another question. I can gut the interior myself, and I am pretty handy when I have the time. Would you all recommend having someone re-do the interior or have most of you done it yourself?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thank you...I have not driven it yet, but at idle and with slight revs, it sounds just I had hoped it would. It is so difficult to pick out an exhaust system.

Another question. I can gut the interior myself, and I am pretty handy when I have the time. Would you all recommend having someone re-do the interior or have most of you done it yourself?
Awesome. That's the exhaust I'd like to put on my 66.

As far as the interior, most people do it themselves. Lots of patience is the most important tool, to get everything to fit correctly. But it can be done pretty easily on a nice warm weekend.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts