Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all. I am in the process of restoring a '66 coupe. I am done with my rust repair and have primed 2/3 of the chassis and undercarriage. I am wondering what paint to use on the engine bay and front end parts. I would like a semi-gloss black finish that will resist chemicals and nicks, but still be a nice finish that I can spray on with my HVLP gun. I have a couple of quarts of Hammerite Rust Cap that I will apply from the cross member, back. I also have a couple of quarts of Por 15 laying around, but I've never shot it and I'm not sure if I will be happy with the finish.

So what did you guys do? Did you shoot a two stage paint? Or did you shoot a one stage like por 15 and live with the finish, or top coat it?

Just looking for some ideas and recommendations in order to get a resistant finish similar to this. (courtesy of cornholio)
http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv200/Cornholioe/100_1231.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any paint guys in here? Anybody paint their own?

I tried shooting both the hammerite and por 15 today, the hammerite is much tougher so I may foam brush it on. I just wish I could find a good one stage shootable paint for the engine bay and parts. I might try to thin the por 15, or just buy some semi-gloss base and some clear for the engine bay and parts.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Nice thing about the POR is it will stand up to brake fluid where most other paints just peel off. If you don't mind the gloss, even the flat por comes out glossy then go with it.

I shot my entire underbody with POR followed by 2 coats of SEM bedliner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice thing about the POR is it will stand up to brake fluid where most other paints just peel off. If you don't mind the gloss, even the flat por comes out glossy then go with it.

I shot my entire underbody with POR followed by 2 coats of SEM bedliner.
So did you thin it out before shooting? I have some por 15 satin and I was told I could add thinner for a semi-gloss look and easier shooting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts