Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've been browsing the forums for the last few months and decided to post my first thread. I have a 66 coupe with factory air conditioning and noticed that the radiator was boiling over after a short drive. I assumed this the thermostat is bad and needs replacing. From everything I've read, it sounds like the thermostat is easy to replace... unless you have AC. The AC unit and brackets interfere with accessing the bottom bolt.

Any tips on how to replace the thermostat on an AC car?

I attached a photo of what I'm looking at. Appreciate the feedback, thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
No, the lower bolt is the same PITA with or without AC. You'll need to get a new gasket, and a correct 190° thermostat.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
If that's what your outlet looks like I'd hate to see the inside of the radiator! There's not much left to that outlet. Get a new bypass hose while you're at it. Make sure the Tstat in installed the right way with the pointed end pointing at the radiator.

Use a socket with a long extension and you may need a swivel if they don't line up.
Jon

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So I guess the key is the swivel socket set. I couldn't see how I could unscrew the bottom bolt. I'll replace the bypass hose as well. I thought I had read somewhere that AC engines were a lot more difficult to work with and figured it was the hoses and bracket getting in the way. Thanks again

·
Registered
861 Posts
That lower bolt is a really pain, there is no way a socket would fit with the AC bracket in the way I used a wrench.
The problem with your setup is your coil is in the way.

·
Registered
4,797 Posts
you can usually tell real easy if your thermostat is not opening. do this-in your driveway take of radiator cap,start engine.watch water flow in radiator while engine runing-with a thermostat installed water will not hardly move until thermostat opens.you need to let engine run for 2-5 minutes before it will open. when thermostat opens the water will flow fast past the radiator cap opening. if you see this movement then you have another problem- such as a stopped up radiator and possibly lots of rust in your entire cooliong system. then you will need to have radiator flushed out at a radiator shop along with your cooling system. any questions-ask wes

1 - 6 of 6 Posts