Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guy at the office has an unfinished 66 coupe that he's decided to rid himself of. He was working on it for his wife, but she died. He owns one of the nicest 68 GT350 vert clones I've ever seen.
Anyways, word drifted over to me that he was interested in selling this unfinished coupe. It needs one rear qtr. finished up (it's at about 75% now) and then paint and pretty much just put back together. 302/C4 combo, pretty plain jane type of car.
My dilemma is that I don't want just any old Mustang. I've done that before and don't feel like sinking a year or so into a coupe when the time could be spent on a more valuable Mustang example, like a vert or FB.
I'll probably buy the damn thing only because the money is right ($1k), but I'm not going to like it. It can sit in the garage right next to the other coupe waiting to get done. I'm PO'd at myself for being such a "Mustang Sucker". At one time I had three restored Mustangs in the driveway and I still drove the pickup to work 90% of the time. I kept telling myself then that this was foolish, so the three went bye-bye and here I find myself starting all over...
Is anyone else this way (besides the junkyard owner, Whizco)), or is it just me? ::

·
7,010 Posts
I see this all the time. I had a guy working for me that had a roadrunner tatooed on his biceps and 5 mopars parked in his yard...not one of which he could afford to fix...because everytime he got some cash together he bought another car.

I'm exactly the opposite. I've been working on the same fricken car for 9 years. I've spent more money on that car than it will ever be worth my a factor of 2. With the list of ideas I have in my head, it won't be done for at least another 9 years at which point I'll probably have to start over.

So which way is more deranged? The guy with the cars he hasn't started fixing can sell them any day of the week and break even. I think the true "mad men" are the ones like me that just can't say "It's Done" and move on to something else.

Phil

·
AKA Exchevman
5,383 Posts
LOL I know what you mean. I have a lot of work to do on the 70, we are still working on SWMBO's vert and I'm still looking around at what else is out there. Is this sick or what?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm in the same group. The first Vintage Mustang I ever rode in was a 67 GT "S" code fastback. I wanted one bad but couldnt find an affordable big block project car. I settled for my 66 fastback but swore one day I would find a big block. With the Fastback finished I was looking around a little bit when a 66 vert fell into our lap, too good a deal to pass up and SWMBO bought it the same day. Now with 2 cars in the garage, and 2 daily drivers in the driveway there is no way I can justify buying a big block. Unless of course I get a bigger garage ::.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
There goes that anger management thing again Dave! Now you are mad because a guy gave you a good deal on a Mustang. You really need to get a grip.

PS: I'm just kidding of course. Dave.... put the bat away.... DAVE!! ::

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I've been working on mine since 1978!!! I'm not as far upside down as you are on yours, but by the time I'm "done" I might be! :)

We are all crazy.

John Harvey

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Only :: people continue to start over and over and o...... I am on my 92nd mustang 641/2-73.Will not ever see the white light at the end of the tunnel ::.I tell you it's torcher but I guess you have to enjoy something in life. ::

Troy in oregon.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Well, I have 5 Mustangs in various stages right now. However I can`t resist looking in the Wheeler Dealer, Want Advertizer, Uncle Henry`s Swap and Sell... :p

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I'm going to buy it after work. I just can't say no to a good deal. I'll park the thing in the garage and guess I'll get to it eventually.... somebody shoot me.

·
Registered
948 Posts
How about we just hit you with a bat? :)

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I guess I'm going to buy it after work. I just can't say no to a good deal. I'll park the thing in the garage and guess I'll get to it eventually.... somebody shoot me.
Sucker!!! ;) :: :p

Hey! I noticed you're now back to VMF BlackSheep!

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
I'm pretty well-convinced that all of us in this hobby have a common genetic deficiency that makes us suckers to look at ANY car for sale.

How many of you find that you drive down the road, see a beatup old Ranger pickup with a price in the window of $1k and say "That would make a nice parts chaser?" :p

And do the same with the neighbor's '88 Supra GT with 150k miles that needs to be completely redone, but that they're selling for $500? Wow! Five Hundred Dollars! I could get that thing cheap, go to the junkyard for spare parts, and get that thing up and running!

Suckers!!! :p ::

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Sacbill, you've got my number to a tee, except for me it's much much worse. I usually have about 5-10 potential cars to purchase rolling around in my head at any given time. I will have the "no" cars, the "maybe" cars, and the "YES" cars all fighting for their share of brain cells. It is a desease that I hope there is no cure for.

·
Registered
620 Posts
WEll with 3 in the garage now and 2 regular drivers I am booked up for now as far as space goes but always looking for that something better. How much is enough???? Guess we will never know.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Would'nt it be nice if we could actually finish these project ahead of shedule and under budjet and then sell each one for way more than we invested.................... THAT would make a great hobby. Instead I am working on a car that I took apart in the fall of 1987. I have invested alot of time/money and I plan to keep for the rest of my sane life. I am almost road ready, and already looking at what project I want to do next. I need counseling. My name is Joel and I am a Mustangaholic; it has been two days since my last project.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
You can say that again Phil. My stang is going to be the only car I own as a hobby, except mebbe a fox body vert and a chopper, and.....

My brother has two Rancheros and two mustangs and a t-bird. The two mustangs have a long ways to go...and he's always eyeballing car purchases. Just a normal mentality, but different than the 100k coupes! ::

I know my ride will never be done.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts