Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much would you budget to get a 66 coupe road worthy? Assuming it isn't going to be tore down and fully restored right now. Just an ok driver that hasn't had much done with it, but is complete.

I know its a pretty open question but put your 2 cents in if you would.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
How long has it been sitting? Does the motor run OK? Does the transmission work?

Making a lot of assumptions:
All brake components - $300. More if you need drums/rotors.
Front suspension and steering: $800
Gas tank, fuel lines - $175.
New tires: $400
Other stuff: $500

·
Registered
35,897 Posts
Well, we're gonna need a a lot more detail before we can even guess.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motor runs, tranny works currently it is an automatic converted from a factory 3 speed. I would like to take it back to a manual, maybe a T-5. Overall not missing parts. Minor rust but solid body. I'm trying to work backwards on an offer price, knowing that I won't be a full tear down for a little while to repair the rust. I don't mind driving something a little rough for awhile, I'm in the Midwest and use to it.
Any and all input would be appriciated.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sounds like the 66 coupe I bought. I thought I would drive it and get to the fixes later. I am now into a complete restoration. The rate at which the small amount of rust it had to being unsafe to drive was surprising to say the least. I even wound up up a slight twist in the body due to the lack of support; it's amazing how much the uni-body construction relies on solid pieces. I'm in for ALOT more cash than I ever imagined. I am doing all the work myself and that helps but the amount of parts that are involved is getting expensive. So my suggestion is fix it first then enjoy the car later rather than drive it now and rebuild it later. My car didn't have a ton of rust when I bought it; nothing worse than what I have seen on other cars I have owned. I didn't have a clue at the time I bought it about the cowl vent rust, that's a major job; not un-doable but time consuming. Oh you were looking for costs. Right now I'm in for about 1700 in parts alone, that doesn't include the time invested or the tools and supplies I've had to buy. Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to put you off; just giving you my personal experience.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i bought a 65 coupe i thought i was a decent deal at the time. I ended up stripping it down and doing a complete restomod. I stopped keeping track of how much i spent after 15k. In the end its going to be a car i will be happy to drive. I guess that all that matters to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input. I've got a good grasp on structural rust issues. I have a 73 Mach 1 with them, thats whats got me in the coupe market. Well actualy a fastback market with a coupe budget!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts