Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning guys, I'm looking at the attached coupe and wondering what would be a good purchase price point. These are the seller’s pictures, not everything I asked for but it is a start. They are going to send some interior pictures and then I will make the trip to look at it in person to take a look underneath. As you can see it is the rust belt so I'm approaching very cautiously and will assume there is much more rust than what I can see.

Story is that it was bought off an estate in 2006 drove for a few years and has now sat. No known history of work completed.

I'm approaching it with the intentions of making it a safe driver now doing the brake and suspension, engine and tranny items. Then later either selling as is or going into a more in-depth restoration.

Or would I be further ahead to go after a fairly complete restored car. I'm guessing I could find something for 8000-10000.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

66 Mustang pictures by trippyjane - Photobucket

·
Registered
35,860 Posts
OK, none of the usual rust spots are shown in the photos. You'll need better photos, or a personal inspection. One thing is certain, you'll need to replace the "B" crossmember.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
From the looks of the one undercar pic, I would bet the floors are toast. I would try to find someone on here that is close by to take a look for you, I'm in Michigan and would be willing if it's near me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Morning guys, I'm looking at the attached coupe and wondering what would be a good purchase price point. These are the seller’s pictures, not everything I asked for but it is a start. They are going to send some interior pictures and then I will make the trip to look at it in person to take a look underneath. As you can see it is the rust belt so I'm approaching very cautiously and will assume there is much more rust than what I can see.

Story is that it was bought off an estate in 2006 drove for a few years and has now sat. No known history of work completed.

I'm approaching it with the intentions of making it a safe driver now doing the brake and suspension, engine and tranny items. Then later either selling as is or going into a more in-depth restoration.

Or would I be further ahead to go after a fairly complete restored car. I'm guessing I could find something for 8000-10000.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

66 Mustang pictures by trippyjane - Photobucket

Watch out, Some complete or partly restored cars have had shoddy or terrible work done. They will look and run great, but under the skin be terrible. Just some advice, I done more work removing bad repairs than it would have been if they left it rusted or dented.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If you can see a lot of problems and it looks like it has never been repaired. That could be a very good thing.

·
Registered
35,860 Posts
If you can see a lot of problems and it looks like it has never been repaired. That could be a very good thing.
I agree. Neglected, but without bogus repairs, is a lot easier to deal with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I agree. Neglected, but without bogus repairs, is a lot easier to deal with.
Yey, right now I'm working on the floors and its hard removing the glued and rivited aluminum flashing and crappy welded 12 or 14 ga plate. It's a monster!

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
12ga plates? Were they planning on driving over a mine field?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
99.9% of the time you are better off buying a restored car. It is almost impossible to get your money out of the restoration cost so let somebody else take the hit. Plus you get to enjoy the car right away instead of 3 years from now.

And starting with a car with a bad unibody is a total waste of time. Just that many more problems to throw money at.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Rust

Judging from the one photo of the underside sitting on top of leaves, you can bet that the bottom of the car is toast along with the trunk area and bottom of the doors.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts