Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I knew things were going to well!

I managed to remove shocks, springs, strut rods, end-links, upper & lower control arms from the passenger side. And everything but the lower control arm from the driver side. To to remove the LCA I have to drop the crossmember BUT the bolt on the driver side just spins. It seems the captive nut has broken off. In fact the frame rail looks like a quilt with a tonne of patch plates and welds. There is what looks like 'old' sheet metal inbetween the crossmember and the frame...which makes me think someone has had issues with this before.

Anyway - this means I can't get the LCA out on the Drivers side, which is a royal pain!

My question is - if I can somehow get the crossmember off - perhaps cold chisel the bolt and then put in the new suspension, would it be safe to carefully drive the car 1 mile to my local garage and ask them to sort out the cross member - I installed a monte carlo bar a year or so ago, so the car would be somewhat rigid.

Cheers
Grant
www.mymustangjourney.com

·
Registered
10,268 Posts
Yeah. That sounds like a real party. I’ve never faced the challenge you’re describing. We’d probably have tried the air impact first and then cut the head off the bolt. That’ll get the #2 crossmember off the car.
Maybe TIG the spinning captive nut and retap it?

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Party for sure!

I forgot to mention I don't have welding gear or any experience with welding at all. I'm thinking the car would be ok to drive to the garage (1 mile away) as it seems the crossmember is pretty much just sitting there doing nothing if the drive side bolt just spins.

Yeah. That sounds like a real party. I’ve never faced the challenge you’re describing. We’d probably have tried the air impact first and then cut the head off the bolt. That’ll get the #2 crossmember off the car.
Maybe TIG the spinning captive nut and retap it?

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Premium Member
13,358 Posts
It is safe to drive 1 mile. There are too many Mustangs to count driving around with that crossmember missing. It seems that "mechanics" removed it to change the LCAs and then decided it wasn't needed and didn't put it back on.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I can verify that you will be fine driving it to the repair shop of your choice. I drove my '66 fastback for almost six months before I discovered that the PO never put it on. When I finally found the OE part and proper fasteners, everything lined up perfectly.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for the offer but I've got a load of stuff on order which I hope will arrive soon!

I'm sure you are aware that is a special type of bolt. So if you have to cut it off I'm pretty sure I have a spare. If you need one, I'd be happy to ship it to you.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All,

Well, the situation turned nasty pretty quick. I was getting ready to buy a reciprocating saw to cut the bolt when I decided to put some pressure on the top of the bolt through the frame...POP! - Out came the bolt & nut through the bottom of the frame! - What scares me is that I jacked the car up using the crossmember to put it on axle stands..so the driver side was just sitting there unattached! - But at least I can now remove the LCA - one problem solved..and is so often the case...another two takes its place...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,747 Posts
That does look nasty indeed. I had the entire front clip blasted and painted. My frame rails looked to be in fantastic shape. One of the nuts that held my front bumper brackets was twisted off by a previous owner. I was just going to use a nut and bolt there but decided to do it right. I cut a small section out and planned to weld the nut back on and then weld the cut out section back in. Boy I was in for quite a surprise, the inside of the frame rails had major rot. They were just waiting to break through. I decided to cut the same piece out of the passenger side, it was every bit as bad. Ended up sectioning in 2 front frame rail repair sections, inner and outer both sides.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,747 Posts
I dug through my pics, here's a look after I sandblasted the front clip. Thought I was golden.

Until I went to fix a broken captive nut for my bumper bracket.

Brackets on both sides were completely rotted.

Had to replace both sides inner and outer.

Somebody mentioned project creep, I've been in project creep since I bout the car back in 2012.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts