Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me where to find someone who rebuilds deluxe steering wheels?
I have one with some pitted chrome.
Is there any one out there that has restored one and if so what is the procedure?

Thanks

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Restoring these things ain't cheap, is it? Rechroming is the worst. VMFer Dickson did my rim, and did a terrific job, but he doesn't do the chrome.

Steve

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
As Steve said, I have repaired deluxe wheel rims where they are cracked or separated, but I can't rechrome the spokes.

Just checked out Orlando Mustang's offering. The rechromed spokes look too shiny to me in that pic - not the brushed finish of the original.

IMO you should either find another unrusted wheel to restore, or consider one of the repros. Neither is a cheap option. Feel free to PM me if you want to talk further. Dickson

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Dickson had several wheels, restored and cores, perhaps you guys can work out some kinda deal. He's too modest to plug his own work, but I've seen pictures and read comments about the wheels he's restored and they are quite nice.

On the other hand these wheels are now available in reproduction for about 300 bucks. When you consider the cost of re-chroming and any plastic restoration that might be needed, you may be better off with a new wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts