Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 66 strait 6 m3 a few weeks ago. The owner had it for around a year and had no idea what was on the car or done to it. It has a front disc brake conversion and I know that the pads are from a 1987 cavalier (d289's) which seems to be a popular swap. I suspect that it is the scott drake kit since I'm finding a lot of other scott drake parts. When driving it I noticed a metallic shearing sound and my brake pedal got soft so I pulled the wheels to check it all out.

While pulling it all apart I'm suspecting that they didn't have the right bearing seal on the inner bearing and there isn't a metal spacer like in the cj pony part install video. One rotor had the seal facing the bearing and the other rotor was the opposite. On the CJ pony part install video there is a metal spacer on the inside of the bearing cap.
(stop at 5:02 to see what i'm talking about). I think this is why the center link ends are blown out and the tires are wearing on the inside. The brake pads are also wearing at an angle rather than flat. The castle nut had also backed out a little.

I bought bearings and a bearing cap but at this point i'm not sure they are even the right parts because the cap wont even press into the back of the rotor. The old cap looked like it had been hammered in. The bearing cap and bearings I bought were the same part numbers that it had on it.

1. Does anyone know where to get this metal spacer and what bearing cap I need?

2. Any other theories as to what's going on here?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
Any other theories as to what's going on here?

Welcome to the world of jerry-rigged conversions. Good luck figuring out what kind of rotors, bearings and seals were used in this abomination. If you think that it's the same thing as the CJ video shows I'd call them (good luck getting anybody on the phone) and ask.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man it sucks... This job should have taken 40 minutes for both sides and the thing has been on jack stands for a week.

·
Registered
24 Posts
[1. Does anyone know where to get this metal spacer and what bearing cap I need?

2. Any other theories as to what's going on here?[/QUOTE]

I have what appears to be an identical kit installed in my 66, I bought my kit from here: https://www.autocityclassic.com/mustang/falcon-brakes/1964-1966-ford-mustang-complete-front-disc-conversion-4-lug-6-cylinder-14-wheels-6466stang4lug/

The only difference would be mine has a Corvette master cylinder and universal style 7" booster with an adjustable pedal rod. It too uses the MKD289 pad and equivalent. As you can see the spacers are pictured, it might be easier to reach out to them than Scott Drake. I dobut the ID OD and thickness is any different. Maybe you can purchase it directly from them? Good luck

·
Registered
33,891 Posts
I don't think that's the Scarebird. Their kit uses the OEM or their own 6 cylinder hubs on slip-on rotors, the one above is all one piece.

Whatever it is, it's poorly assembled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just got off the phone with Scott drake. They say there isn't supposed to be a spacer so I have NO idea why there is a spacer in the CJ pony parts install video. Apparently I'm supposed to press in the bearing cap and throw it back together with the parts that I have tracked down.

So, looks like my suspicions were correct and the bearing cap was flipped. I'm going to throw it back together and see how it goes.

IF ANYONE HAS THIS PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE AND KNOWS TO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION THEN HERE ARE THE PART NUMBERS FOR SCOTT DRAKE CONVERSIONS.

National (brand) Part numbers:
Outer bearing LM11749
Inner bearing L44649
Inner bearing cap 7994S
Rotors are made by drake
6 x 1 1/2 cotter pin
Brake pads are d289 1987 caviler pads

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
The "spacer" is the really bizarre part. It looks like an inner race and he pushes it on the spindle and just leaves it there and throws some grease over it. It doesn't seem like any stock grease seal would work either. The spacer would need to be very tight against the inner wheel bearing race to keep it from spinning on the spindle. Axles with sealed bearing units might have something like this and those nuts are torqued much tighter than you could torque the Mustang spindle. To much heavy metal in those CJ videos. It should be pretty obvious if you don't install correctly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts