Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read almost every post concerning converting to front disc brakes on an early Mustang ('66). Currently, the Coupe has a real good set of drums all around and stops nice and straight. I will be driving it more soon and feel the addition would be a good option. Now, after all the info I read, I am still not sure what system is the best to use. Seems like there are issues with the proportioning valve on some units and I think I saw several issues with which master cylinder worked best.

I would like pros and cons of the system you have converted to and what you think you would do different if redoing them.

Still even debating for sure on this option.....vs the steering column, the seat belts, or whatever to be a bit better as more miles are added.

Wife even suggested getting out of the classics for a while and into a newer used car as a second vehicle but not sure I want to go there right now.

Decisions............

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I went with '70 disk brakes on my '66, keeping them as manual brakes using a '74 Maverick disk/drum master cylinder.

For the proportioning valve and DB, I used the '70 combo valve, installed upside down, so I could plumb the existing hard lines right into it. Very easy, very clean installation.

The braking effort is no more than it was with the drum/drum setup and if anything, it requires less pedal effort. I've heard many claim that the bump steer is excessive with the '70 spindles, but I have not experienced that in the slightest.

What would I do differently next time? Nothing. I'm extremely pleased with this setup and it was pretty cheap for a disk brake conversion. I got a great deal from another VMFer, so did the entire conversion for under $400.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
I went discbrakeswap.com for my '65. Based on the Granada. Love it. Whole shebang under $600.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
What system is the best? Very simple, get a set of Kelsey Hayes front calipers and install them.

Stay focused on one issue at a time. Seatbelts, steering column are totally different issues.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I used the older s10/Mustang-based Scarebird setup and like it.

Pros: Great pad selection,really cheap to do, easy bolt on, common parts.

Cons: Might not be available anymore? Only fits 15s and larger. Not an all in one kit.

If I were to do it again, I'd use chockstang's stock setup or discbrakeswap, assuming I couldn't get the same Scarebird setup or was running 14s.

No driving report yet, I need to fix that :D

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I just went through this exact decision making process last week. I wanted to replace the front drums on my '63 Fairlane (brakes are the same as Mustang)with discs. I searched the VMF and read all the threads about this topic, which are several. In the end, I decided on Chockostang's set-up. They are just 1970 Mustang disc brakes. The nice thing is they come with new spindles which are larger and use the larger bearings. All in all, it is about $550 including a 1974 Maverick master cylinder, brake hoses, outer tie rods (larger pin), hardware, etc. 14" disc brake wheels will fit also. I haven't received the kit yet, but I'm very excited to get it and bolt it on. I also considered the RC Motorsports kit, but decided against it because the rotor hub had to be turned down to fit early steel wheels. It was about $100 cheaper though. I'll let you know how it goes in a week or so.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great replies. Just the info I was looking for. And yes, one item at a time to focus on, just deciding where to focus is the first step.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
You can get any two of the following three attributes:

1. Low cost
2. Quality/performance
3. Low hassle/ease of install

It is almost impossible to get all three (you would have to find an uniformed seller to do so). Decide which two are the most important to you and that will dictate which approach is "best" for you.

John Harvey

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Maybe I had good luck back when I switched front drums to discs for I found a complete front setup from hub to hub for $200. I rebuilt the calipers with help of Virginia Mustang rebuild kit.

Then again, along came the dual MC with brake booster supplied by SSBC via Mustang Plus. So yes it probably cost me around $600 by the time I got done.

·
Registered
8,016 Posts
JMO

Yes, you got a seller that was willing to give you a set of parts for much less than market value. In addition (IMHO) $600 is not really low cost. I'm into mine less than $200.

John Harvey

1 - 11 of 11 Posts