Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
That looks like the CSRP Swap I did - Love it - Just make sure you get the right swap. Classic Services Restoration Parts
Thanks for the mention, but that is not a CSRP brake kit. That is a cobbled together mix of GM spec hydraulics and lightweight brackets, with incorrect caliper bracket bolts, and a master cylinder that likely has too large a bore.

CSRP's kit for the 65-66 Mustang application with power assist (with auto trans) is the SWAP.1.3/PBU/AT; $739 for a very complete, premium content kit that is basically a Ford designed system for Mustang.

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
I'm sure that is not a CSRP kit. Those appear to be GM calipers to me. It's probably something that scarebird put together. Personally I wouldn't touch it. Buy from CSRP or Chockostang and get parts that were original equipment on Fords and you don't have to worry about finding parts later.

I see that CSRP was typing at the same time I was and he hit the Submit button before I did.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Another +1 on the CSRP kit, though I wouldn't hesitate to use a chockostang kit either. I put a CSRP kit on my 65 earlier this year and it comes with everything you need and the instructions are easy enough to follow that a novice could install.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
for the money i would go with chockostang or opentracker. heck if the listed ebay kit were $300 cheaper, i would still pony up the bucks to go with chockotang or opentracker.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put the Mustang Steve 08 GT disc brakes at all corners. New 74 maverick master cylinder and prop valve with brake light switch. Pieces and parts were 100% first rate. Must run 17" wheels

·
Super Moderator
8,843 Posts

·
Registered
33,629 Posts
Another knock for Dan Chockley! Great parts AND service and you'll never have to wonder just what combination of makes/models you have or need to replace down the road. Just like what was on the car from the factory.... 4-piston fixed calipers and D-11 pads. No GM calipers and Toyota rotors.

Classic Mustang Disc Brake Conversions and Power Steering

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
You guys are all whiners. I can't believe you wouldn't endorse a a kit with GM-based calipers and wimpy brackets.
That beautiful GM master would look right "in place" under a vintage Mustang hood too....

Just kidding. I know shops that use that setup occasionally. The brackets alone require being fabbed out of much thicker
material..... which is modus operandi for that kit....... among other necessary changes.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 65 coupe with a 302 (300hp) and C4 with stock brakes, no booster. The cam is fairly mild. Will my engine make enough vacuum for a booster?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
If you want a great kit that looks just like the original try SSBC. One warning though, they suck at customer service.

Apparently their poor customer service has put them out of business. Vendors are selling their remaining stock of SSBC inventory at half price to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
I have a 65 coupe with a 302 (300hp) and C4 with stock brakes, no booster. The cam is fairly mild. Will my engine make enough vacuum for a booster?

It has been stated here numerous times that the early Mustangs are so light weight that a booster is absolutely not needed. Why add an unneeded component that can cause problems?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts