Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 pony interior doors(I think) but the guy before me cut 2 4" holes along the bottom for speakers on both doors. I dont think there repairable (suggestion are welcome). So i've decide to go with new doors or a pair of really good used ones. But i was wondering are there any difference between 65 and 66 and is there a difference between standard and pony interior doors.

Thanks alot guys

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
65 and 66 doors had different bolt sizes to the hinge. No big deal, unless you're holding the door and the wrong size bolts (ask me how I know!)

IIRC pony doors always(?) had a rectangular cut for courtesy lights near the bottom. Otherwise the differences like door panels, clips, and armrests can be put on any door.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
437 Posts
you can just drill & tap the plate inside the door to cpmpensate for the differnece in bolt sizes

also, in addition to the bolt hole sizes I think the stamping behind the door panel is a hair different as well.. but that would not matter except if someone was doing a concours restoration

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
You'll find good used doors hard to come by for the same reason you want them. There are now reproduction doors for '65/'66 (includes skin and shell). These are a new item thats only recently become available. NPD 20124/20125 $349 each. 1-800-874-7595

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I can't speak for the door shells, but if the door skins I just put on my 65 are any indication, the fit is beautiful. Geegee is right (as usual), I looked for about 6 months for replacement doors and the only good one I found was taken off a car 20 years ago and available for a measly $2000.

The skins fit nicely, and weren't as thin gauge steel as I had expected. I was thinking they would be like todays doors, but they are relatively solid.

Just my .02

Frank

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
It depends on where the holes were cut in your doors, but if they are in the correct location you could buy the speaker grills that would have come with the 8-track option and make the doors look factory. I have one door that was a factory speaker door and the other that has been modified for a speaker, you can't tell the difference when it is put together.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
paulwall, Can you tell me if the Pony doors had he rectangular hole on both doors, or just the driver door? The previous owner wrecked and replaced the passenger door and I'm thinking that it's not a Pony door.I have the same problem as the author, but I'm thinking of just running the grilled aluminum panels that run along the bottom of the door for now. If I don't like them, I can always get new doors later, but I do have the same problem with the speaker holes in the doors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts