Vintage Mustang Forums banner

66 Door Weatherstrip

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  NEFaurora 
#1 ·
Are there any videos or photos of the '66 door weather strip? There is a YouTube video, but he doesn't show the front or rear being installed. I'm using Steele products and they came with the pins. The door is a repro, and it only has the pin hole at the rear of the door. Should I wait until I hang the door to install the weatherstrip, or do it now? Also, how far up does the front of the weatherstrip go?

#5 · (Edited)
I decided to put mine on before I mounted the doors just to make it easier. If your doors are on, it just means kneeling down to get the bottom in.

1 - Wipe down the weatherstrip where the adhesive goes with alcohol to remove any grease, wax, etc. that might affect the adhesive. Wipe off the door area too.

2 - Apply the adhesive to the weatherstrip first, to give it more time than the door to dry. Lay out the weatherstrip on a long table to make it easier to apply the adhesive.
3 - Apply the adhesive to the door. Don't get carried away and slop it all over, as it will show. I used a small acid brush with the bristles cut back to about 1/2" to apply the adhesive.
4 - Begin installing the weatherstrip at either the front or rear of the door. Once you get about 6 or 8 inches installed, put some tape over it to hold it in place. The front and rear have small plastic pins that fit into a hole in the door. Install it right after you get it started. My one repro door did not have the hole at the front of the door. Check this before you start if you have repro doors.

5 - Now go to the other end of the door and begin installing the weatherstrip there. Make sure all of the kinks and curves are out of the weatherstrip. What you are doing, is working your way to the middle so that you don't end up short at the end. I did it this way to make sure I didn't screw up.

6 - Put the plastic pin in the weatherstrip and use some tape to hold it in place.
7 - Now start pressing the weatherstrip into place doing a little at the back, and moving to do a little at the front, working towards the middle.
8 - When you get to the bottom of the door, you might have to use a small putty knife to make sure that the weatherstrip is seated square in the channel. it doesn't take much force to seat it.

Most of this you already know, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out. Use quality weatherstripping. I used Steele, and it is perfect. If you do a search, there are a few pictures of the front and rear portions of the '66 weatherstrip. If you can't find them, I'll scan the B&W photos and post them.
Don't let the number of steps scare you, it's a lot easier than it seems.

#8 ·
Door weather stripping is literally a joke... The easiest way to avoid headaches is just secure the weatherstrip (while it dries) with the 3m Blue Painter's Tape..and use a good amount of tape in small 3" strips...

Also when applying the adhesive.. rub the adhesive on with your index finger and let it get tacky for a minute...then apply it to the door. Don't just put the adhesive on the rubber and put it on the door... Lastly, Before you do anything...Make sure the surface is clean and wipe down with some 90% rubbing alcohol.. then you're good to apply the weather stripping with the adhesive..

:eek:)

Tony K.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.