Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ooookay! On a '66 Coupe, there is a chrome piece that goes in the door opening that holds the weatherstrip the door seats into so it seals up. (well, the door glass seats into..)

On pulling off the chrome piece (and undoing all those screws) I noticed there is a piece of double sided sticky tape with some foam sandwhiched in between... basically a type of sealant putty.

Can I just put some 3M weatherstripping putty in between the car body and the chrome piece? Or do I need to get some of that sticky tape stuff to put in there?

one piece has about all it's old tape, but the other one is about gone.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
I went to Home Depot and got the double sided foam insulation that is similar. They don't remake this seal as far as I know. I'm not familiar with the putty, but I certainly wouldn't want something that would make it stick permanantly.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I just did this on my 66 coupe this past weekend, I did the Home Depot thing like said in the reply above. Worked out well. Good luck......

·
Registered
477 Posts
I did this a few months ago. I was told by a guy who does body work for a living not to use the foam rubber stuff for homes. He said that it is not made to be in contact with the "outside". It is made to make a seal on the inside. He said it would definately promote rusting in the area used. He told me to use 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape (part # 06383). It is made for body moldings and exterior trim pieces

1 - 5 of 5 Posts