Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I'm looking for a recommendation for a dual exhaust system for my '66. It's an A-code dual exhaust car, but right now I have nothing. I'm not a concourse guy, but I want to stay as close to original/period correct where I can.

I have the NPD catalog in front of me and I see this:
Turbo Exhaust System 64-66 2.25 pipes: 174.95
Turbo Exhaust System 64-66 2.5 pipes: 191.95

But I also see that NPD is "happy to re-introduce" their line of reproduction exhaust systems and they have several listings:
65-66 8cyl.. Dual Aftermarket by Walker
65-66 289-4v DUAL - original style reproduction

What I'm really looking for is something not to expensive and *close* to what this car originally had, but that would bolt up, with some ease, to a set of tri-y's.

So what has everyone else used? Any advice?

Thanks!

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
Personally I always think you are best served finding a good local shop and paying them to fab/bend the exhaust system for the car rather than putzing around with pre-fab kits that may or may not work without modifications in your particular application. The price is going to be similiar either way but you have convience of not having to do it yourself and if you have a problem you have someone local you can yell at ;)

Just my .$00000002 (I'm cheap)

·
Registered
199 Posts
The original style reproduction exhaust will bolt right up to the stock manifolds and can easily be a do-it-yourself projecct. I have even seen where the 'H' pipe is modified for use with tri-y's. If you are looking for larger diameter pipes, I would definately look to a local muffler shop to custom make and install.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I agree with Nick on this point. When I am ready I will have my cat towed to a shop to have a custom bent exhaust installed.

I want ball and socket flanges instead of the three bolt header collector flanges which require a gasket. I want the same type flanges behind the mufflers. This way if I need or want to dropping the exhaust system I am able to remove and install it again without going crazy.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
Something else to keep in mind - all of the "aftermarket" style kits I have seen have turndowns and do not exit through the rear valence panel as the original GT style does.
I want to go back to the original style that comes out through the rear panel, but I may add some different tips.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, taking it to a shop might make it more convenient, but so far I've done everything else myself so it's more like a challange to keep it that way.

I just saw in the NPD catalog that they list a $49.00 H-pipe that mounts to the Patriot tri-y's. (5246-14C).

And there's also this GT exhaust kit with resonators (5210-12A) that looks interesting. I have reason to beleive my car was a GT at one point, even though it has since been stripped down to a shell. So like I said, I'd like to stay kind of authentic.

Thanks for the opinions and advice, I'll have to weigh my options.

If anyone has done an authentic GT exhaust let me know what you did and how! :)

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
ive always taken my car to an exhaust shop to have someone else do it bc it costs about the same. my gf and i both had 2.5" systems with an X pipe and flowmasters installed for 350$ on our 66 mustangs and i was very happy with the result overall.

i know that its not mandrel bent, but im not driving a race car where i am going to cry over 5hp lost hehe

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Hey there GC,
I've definitely got to side with Nick and the others with going to a local shop. Not only can the system be set up the way you want it (like tip location, giving recommendations as to pipe dia. and types of mufflers by performance, sound, etc.), but you've got someone to go to if problems arise, too. In other words, if the system you buy from a supplier doesn't fit quite right, it'll be you on your back in the driveway hammering at it to make it fit.
And when you go in to the local guy for an estimate, and he doesn't figure on including an H or X pipe from the get-go, go somewhere else where they know what they're doing. We've got several out here that have a good rep with the local hot-rodders. Ask around at shows and such for recommendations.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Hi,
I went with tri-y's and custom bent 2 1/2 inch exhaust with DynoMax mufflers. The total cost of the custom bends with 2 1/2 pipe and x pipe was less than buying a "ready made" set and I'm sure they would out perform the "ready made" set flow wise as well..
Dave

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have to agree with the take it to a muffler shop guys. I took mine to a Midas shop and had it all done for less than 400 bucks. No damn clamps, etc.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts