Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Rebuilt the heater box, got a new defroster plenum, ducts and hoses. Hafta start my work week tomorrow night and will hope to soon get the underdash surface rust treated and painted, and the cowl treated for prevention of any future rust, then reinstall the heat and defrost parts. Next step is disassembling, cleaning, prepping and painting the dash, column, door panels and interior quarters and reassembling them.

My son wants to go with the Emberglo / Parchment Interior Décor Group, and I can't blame him. It's GoRgEoUs ! It's also e-x-p-e-n-s-i-v-e ! So we will probably do that in stages, beginning with the woodgrain for the dash since we'll have that apart. I think the Dealer air unit under the dash with argent face will look better with the woodgrain on the dash and console than the camera case black would. We can do upholstery then door panels with courtesy lights cut in as we can afford them, and a woodgrain wheel to top it off. I hope to at least have it as a comfortable driver by July 16th. He turns 15, and it will be time to learn to drive in it. --sniffle--

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
It's that time. He has turned 15 ! ! He got his driver learner's permit and I have been showing him the ropes. He's doing quite well ! There's nothing like learning to drive in a classic Mustang in the most beautiful town...

We haven't done much with the car lately, but we did score a REALLY nice woodgrain instrument bezel and glove box door to install when we finish the dash.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Got the dash apart to scuff, clean, and repaint it. The boy took apart the instrument cluster, cleaned everything, I repainted the needles on the gauges and he put it back together with our new woodgrain bezel.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
It's that time. He has turned 15 ! ! He got his driver learner's permit and I have been showing him the ropes. He's doing quite well ! There's nothing like learning to drive in a classic Mustang in the most beautiful town...

We haven't done much with the car lately, but we did score a REALLY nice woodgrain instrument bezel and glove box door to install when we finish the dash.
Samford Hall? Nice looking ride!!

War Eagle...I will probably make the Tulane game this year.

Allen

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Samford Hall? Nice looking ride!!

War Eagle...I will probably make the Tulane game this year.

Allen
Sure is! War Eagle!
Be sure to hit me up anytime you're headed this way. We can tool around campus in vintage iron !

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for sharing you and your sons work on the car. Love the Emberglow color. Nice ride and a lifetime of great family memories being made. Well done.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks for keeping us posted on your progress. Lots to enjoy vicariously watching you boys work.
Thanks for sharing you and your sons work on the car. Love the Emberglow color. Nice ride and a lifetime of great family memories being made. Well done.
I let the boy feel the difference in his car with stock suspension, power steering, springy drums...and mine with heavier springs, poly, roller perches and idler, Gabriel Stryders, and manual steering with discs...
I also have a thread about the Nighmist Blue car I've dragged home to occasionally work on with my 11 year old...
I hope my sons get the real point of all this. Sure, having a cool car to hopefully enjoy all your days is nice, but it gives us father-son bonding time for life lessons on the things that matter- God, family and country to name a few- and realizing those relationships take a lifetime of work, and developing a work ethic to keep them in shape is essential. Besides, behind the wheel of a "finished" car is a great place to think and get closer to the ones that matter. Life's about choices.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Love seeing this David.

Really enjoying all the updates on both cars and have to believe that 20/30 years from now both of your sons will be looking back on these memories and life lessons with great respect for their father.

John

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My son and I worked on the Emberglo Mustang dash all day today until it was time to have dinner with some co-workers, paying tribute to a retiring Lieutenant that also did 20+ years in the U.S. Army. Took my wife and sons with me so they could see what a hero looks like in a tee shirt and cargo shorts, haha ! ! Hats off to Lt. A. B. and I'll be looking forward to cruising with you when you finish your '64 El Camino build. Til then, my sons and I will keep plugging on their '66 Mustangs...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
We've been at it again...nice cool weather today and we got a lot done. We're able to drive and enjoy the car again at this point, though I still plan to add more sound deadener before putting the heater box, defrost plenum and ducts back in.
I put in a new headlight switch and that got all the dash lights working, but we're gonna swap the bulbs and filters for clear or amber LEDs soon.
I added # 1003 bulbs to the reconditioned courtesy lamp sockets and MAN what an improvement.
Still using the original dash pad for now. We will work on the car's interior as time and budget allow. The old steering wheel cover stunk so it had to go. The wheel was badly discolored and has minor cracks but we want to use it until we get a woodgrain wheel, so I decided to wrap it...
I figured out the self-sticking athletic tape makes a pretty good steering wheel cover ! !

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The young man LOVES the Mustang and asks to drive in it every time someone wants to leave home for something. Even just for a soda for Mom, we take the long way ! !

He submitted a photo of our cars together to C J Pony Parts on Instagram...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Today while the boy was gone to school (and I didn't want him around the fumes) I used an unconventional method with a cheap garden sprayer to spray POR-15 inside the entire cowl area and it worked quite well ! I will spray some paint in the area exposed to sunlight (in front of the windshield) to keep it from chalking or whatever. I put in enough that it ran out the drain holes where the water would go and I didn't have any leaks under the dash or anything, so when it dries, it should be good to go for the occasional wash !

Now, he's going to buy the firewall pad and work on re-installing that, the heater box, defrost plenum and ducts. Then it's his turn to take out the front seats for us to work on the tracks and get them ready to reupholster. Dad is tired of riding on springs for driving lessons...

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #36 (Edited)
We got the new firewall pad from NPD (thanks @69bossnine) which looked very original, prepped and painted the firewall, installed the pad then the rebuilt heater case (with new foam, new core, new hoses and clamps, oiled and refreshed motor), new defroster plenum and hoses. My son gave the car it's first full-on wash since we've had it, and NO LEAKS ! ! First drive this evening was to fill it up and we enjoyed the fall air with working heat and defrost, windows down and vents open, no trash, no smells, and no drips. We got lots of thumbs-up !

Attachments

·
Registered
300 Posts
Congrats, bud. Love to see a job done. Probably getting cool there since it's been pleasant here in L(ower) A(labama).

21 - 40 of 43 Posts