Vintage Mustang Forums banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Just picked up these bad boys from Oscar, the upholstery Guru! He did a tremendous job, as always. I recommend him to anyone that wants their vehicle upholstery to be its very best.
20200410_203806.jpg

Now to take them home to my son so we can get busy on the car this weekend!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Those look really nice.

I reupholstered my front seats a few years ago. Had a hell of a time attaching the backs to the bases I ran into the upholsterer who did my headliner and vinyl top afterwards and he said there is a trick to it. He did not share it with me.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I still hafta put the backs on. They have spring clips like the door panels, slide into the notches on the panel and push through the rails on the back with a 'click. I think starting at the top center is better than starting on one corner, and work your way both sides and down.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I still hafta put the backs on. They have spring clips like the door panels, slide into the notches on the panel and push through the rails on the back with a 'click. I think starting at the top center is better than starting on one corner, and work your way both sides and down.
I guess I wasn't that clear. I meant how the seat backs attach to the seat bottom where they pivot forward.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Oh, I see. Those can be a little aggravating to take apart and put together. Hang it on the pivot hinge on the short side, then on the side you have pictured, wrap a pry bar of sorts in cloth so you don't damage the vinyl and pry between the bar and the seat to flex the hinge just enough to get it over the pivot. There should be a plastic washer between the hinge and the vinyl also. When you get the bar over it, put another washer over that and then slide in the cotter pin that retains it.

Reactions: BigKoppa

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Thanks everybody. NPD and other vendors have all the little parts if you don't have them, and it will help prevent unnecessary wear at the pivot points. Again my Turquoise/Aqua seats see a lot of use and after 18 years they still look and feel new. It was worth the time to look at the frames closely, clean them and paint them, use new foam, quality TMI or Distinctive Industries (whatever is best for your application) and to have someone that really knew what they were doing to pick up where the "how-tube" videos leave off. Time and money well-spent. I hope my sons' upholstery lasts 50 years!

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Been working ALL DAY. Had to make sure the floor pans were absolutely rust-free, clean, and have a fresh coat of red oxide. The next time it gets painted, the Emberglo overspray will be subtle.
20200414_112431.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Still working, and the boy just HAD to sit in it.
He looks SO much like my Dad.
20200414_191615.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Not bad for a first car !
Even Mom came out to see and wow...
20200414_202135.jpg

Time for another driving lesson (just an excuse to cruise around) !

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
That looks fantastic - nice work by both of you!

John

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Thanks, guys. Still gotta do the kick panel carpet and some new sill plates. Next are the deluxe door panels with courtesy lamps etc.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Wife working at home?
Use her binder clips for headliner and kick panel carpet pinchers while the adhesive dries !
20200427_190716.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Got the kick panels with deluxe carpet and the door sills installed !
20200429_230959.jpg
20200429_231704.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Looks fantastic. Going to be a pleasure keeping that clean now. Nice job (y)
Thank you all !
Man, we're soooooo ready to strip the interior doors, cut for the courtesy lamps, repaint with Emberglo and install the Parchment door panels, trim and new handles now.
We also have a short console to restore and add the woodgrain trim to but I think we'll actually put the AC back in first !

·
Registered
459 Posts
@myfirstcar66

Very nice looking. Love to keep seeing the updates with the boys working on their cars.

As an aside, I'm sure the boys have names, but, in my mind, I call them Emberglow and Nightmist...

61 - 80 of 102 Posts