Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Fastback
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sanding down my car to prep for body work, while waiting for my painter to get it in, I decided to pull the engine & trans to clean everything up. While not completely done it's time to critique my work. Let me know what you think - good or otherwise. I tried to do most things "correct" while doing other things for personal taste/convenience. It's not a show car, more of a driver to have fun! I replaced all engine compartment wiring as well as all new brake lines front to rear, new ACP aluminum radiator and rebuilt heater box. Kudos to NPD where all my parts came from and were all in stock and top notch. I fired her up today for the first time since October 2019. IMG_0838.JPG IMG_0839.JPG IMG_0840.JPG IMG_0841.JPG IMG_0842.JPG IMG_0843.JPG IMG_0844.JPG

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I was thinking the blue was too light but otherwise looks pretty good. I like how you painted the top of the rad.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
Very nice work, I've judged cars that weren't that nice.

a) Shock absorbers - Not as original, should be semigloss black.
b) Radiator - Not as original, should be thin gloss "radiator paint".
c) Heater hoses - Not as original, routing is incorrect, the return hose, not the supply hose, should be in the choke clip, and both hoses should be bound together with two aluminum strap ties.
d) Ignition wires - Not as original, left side routing should place the #7 wire in the forward-most clip, looped under the #5 and #6 wire. This is to prevent induced spark at 90° on the #8 cylinder.

The shocks, hoses, and wires are dead easy to fix. AMK makes the strap ties. You have the hoses connected correctly, and trimmed correctly, both of which I have seen done very badly on "show cars". The wire thing always surprises people, it's because of the firing order, 15426378. I rather like the bare radiator, but originals were blacked out with a special thin black paint. Your call. It will be visible behind the grille, which in my case is a blacked-out GT grille.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Looks nice! Same comments as 22GT plus the fuel line clip laying loose at the water pump. Also, believe the hose clamp on the upper hose should be pointing straight up and, yes, the inline fuse holder. Question: Is that oe-style harness wrap used? Looks too shiny.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Looks great...I'm a bit of a nut over wiring and would like to see those wrapped together. My eye is drawn to that red wire over the driver side shock tower. Same thing for that loose wire running next to the passenger side shock tower.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
My April '66 Dearborn engine has the lighter blue, might be your camera and mine fading.
I go back and forth on the AL rads. They stick out but its freaking hard to cover them well and they don't seem to stay covered so if it flakes off in places and looks worse and it never covers the same as well again so I lean to leaving it natural now.
Plug wires could be more tidy, put 7&8 on the opposite ends of the holders helps if I recall.
Add on wires may as well be black to hide a bit more, maybe get one with a stripe to look more factory. I'd hit that fuse holder with black just because.

I don't like your throttle return spring!

·
Dimples
5,666 Posts
I clearly don't have the eye for stock details that these guys do, but I did notice that the wiring could be better as far as visibility.

Otherwise, I think it looks beautiful! Really nice job.

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
his spring is 100% factory correct.
I was afraid of that, at first i wrote it was wrong but thought better. I might be seeing it wrong, a single spring? ...on that offset in the rod? ... still, I DONT LIKE IT:)

·
Registered
1966 Fastback
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice work. I'm not a concourse expert. What did you source for the Ford blue paint? What is that inline fuse over buy the solenoid? power top?
I used Duplicolor Old Ford Blue (1620). Lighter than what was on it but I liked it better than the Duplicolor 1606 (too dark and purplish). The inline fuse is how the PO wired/powered the fog lights. I plan to put the original wiring for the fog lights in soon.

·
Registered
1966 Fastback
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice work, I've judged cars that weren't that nice.

a) Shock absorbers - Not as original, should be semigloss black.
b) Radiator - Not as original, should be thin gloss "radiator paint".
c) Heater hoses - Not as original, routing is incorrect, the return hose, not the supply hose, should be in the choke clip, and both hoses should be bound together with two aluminum strap ties.
d) Ignition wires - Not as original, left side routing should place the #7 wire in the forward-most clip, looped under the #5 and #6 wire. This is to prevent induced spark at 90° on the #8 cylinder.

The shocks, hoses, and wires are dead easy to fix. AMK makes the strap ties. You have the hoses connected correctly, and trimmed correctly, both of which I have seen done very badly on "show cars". The wire thing always surprises people, it's because of the firing order, 15426378. I rather like the bare radiator, but originals were blacked out with a special thin black paint. Your call. It will be visible behind the grille, which in my case is a blacked-out GT grille.

View attachment 752470
I may paint the top of the shocks black. I was going to leave the rad all aluminum (it looked too nice to paint) but decided it looked out of place, so I just painted the top/bottom and sides. I used Krylon lacquer and could only find satin which is a little flat for my taste but close enough. I saw that hose routing diagram and looked/saw both ways as correct on this site and others. Mine was originally hooked up the way I did it so I just put it back that way. I didn't like the way my wires were routed either (used my old Chilton manual photo) so thanks for the info as I will change these. Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
1966 Fastback
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks nice! Same comments as 22GT plus the fuel line clip laying loose at the water pump. Also, believe the hose clamp on the upper hose should be pointing straight up and, yes, the inline fuse holder. Question: Is that oe-style harness wrap used? Looks too shiny.
Had issues with the fuel line leaking. The part store gave me a Hipo pump with a 3/8 hard line fitting and I have the 5/16 fuel line. Oddly enough it seemed to screw in OK but leaked badly. I've since replaced with correct fuel pump and just forgot to put clip back on. (Thanks for letting me know). That's the wrap on the Alloy Metal Products wiring. I know it's too shiny but at least it's new. The inline fuse holder is how the PO wired/powered the fog lights. I plan to put correct wiring in soon.

·
Registered
1966 Fastback
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looks great...I'm a bit of a nut over wiring and would like to see those wrapped together. My eye is drawn to that red wire over the driver side shock tower. Same thing for that loose wire running next to the passenger side shock tower.
I still need tidy up all the wiring once I get the engine all tuned and the paint done. The brown wire on both sides is how the PO wired the fog lights which I plan to replace soon.

·
Registered
1966 Fastback
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My April '66 Dearborn engine has the lighter blue, might be your camera and mine fading.
I go back and forth on the AL rads. They stick out but its freaking hard to cover them well and they don't seem to stay covered so if it flakes off in places and looks worse and it never covers the same as well again so I lean to leaving it natural now.
Plug wires could be more tidy, put 7&8 on the opposite ends of the holders helps if I recall.
Add on wires may as well be black to hide a bit more, maybe get one with a stripe to look more factory. I'd hit that fuse holder with black just because.

I don't like your throttle return spring!
What's up with the throttle return spring? That's how it was hooked up before and it looked like the parts on NPD site, but let me know if it is incorrect.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 T5
125 Posts
My eyes for stock components are beyond blind in comparison to people here that have already commented, and that isn't really my style anyways. My ocd side wants to tell you to use some black zip tie spark plug wire separators to make their routing back to the cap a bit cleaner and to make sure all the wires are wrapped together that can be. Generally looks great though man!

·
Registered
5,629 Posts
What's up with the throttle return spring? That's how it was hooked up before and it looked like the parts on NPD site, but let me know if it is incorrect.
I purposefully avoided saying it was incorrect since I don;t know but in general one spring is bad, mmmkay.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts