Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could you please help me identifying which V8 model the attached might be?
It seats on a 66 coupe but I dont think is the original.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
It's a 289/302 with a "dress-up" kit on it. Here's a link to help you identify it. The assembly date is fairly easy to find. The casting codes and dates require more effort.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks awthx.
The car is some 600 kms away and the owner has not given me details about the engine apart that it is new and has 211 hp. Would you think is a C or could it be an earlier D model?

·
Registered
21,337 Posts
54 years later it can be anything. That's a dress up kit on the motor. First step is find the casting numbers on the block and heads. See if there is a VIN on the left side on the block just behind the intake manifold.

This is the motor in my 66. It looks like it could be a 66 with some aftermarket parts when if fact it's out of a 97.5 Explorer

·
Premium Member
7,376 Posts
The basic Ford Small Block V8 has soooooo many variations, 5 bolt (through about August 1964) and 6 bolt, 221, 260, 289, 302, 351, 5.0 5.8, solid lifter, hydraulic lifter, and on and on.

Couple that with aftermarket parts, and mix and match (late model heads on early block, changing crankshafts, stroking, boring, etc.) just "looking" at the engine is almost hopeless to casually figure out what it is.

Plus, even if you can identify from the outside, you do not know what is in the inside, and what is the condition.

I have been working on small block Ford engines for 50 years, and still see new variations.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Would you think is a C or could it be an earlier D model?
A "C" code would originally have had a 6 bolt block and a "D" code would have had a 5 bolt block. The number of bolts refers to the rear of the engine where the bellhousing for the transmission attaches.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts