Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a set of used 66 mounts last night to put in place of the 65 style mounts in my 66 coupe and I cannot get the mounts to line up and get the bolts through the holes. Is this normal or should the pieces fit slide right in like the 65 mounts? The holes on the second angle piece fit pefectly but when I tried to put the other piece on it would not wrap around the frame completely, the radius of the bracket kept hitting the radius of the frame. I tried swapping the pieces side to side but had the same problem. Am I missing something?

Dan

·
Registered
10,139 Posts
The mounts are marked left and right. Right is the passenger side.

The bolts also need to go in the right holes or they will not line up properly.

Keep trying. It is basically pretty easy with the above two things to look out for.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
From what it sounds like you are trying to replace early 1965 3 peice motor/frame mounts/brackets with later 65 and 66 2 peice frame/motor setups. The early ones look like this:
http://www.dodgestang.com/images/engineinstall6.jpg

IIRC, to upgrade to the 66 motor mount, you also need to get a 66 frame bracket. Are you using a 66 frame bracket and motor mount, because reading your post it sounds like you put new motor mounts on the block, removed the angled peice from the 65 frame mounts and are trying to bolt it together. If I have read this wrong, just disregard me, everyone else does ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts