Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm looking to convert my 66 coupe from a 200 to 289. No body work needed. Any recommendations for garages in the southern NJ region? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Having someone do it will be quite expensive since there is more to it than just the engine exchange, doubt it will be a good return on investment at all - especially on a coupe. Unless you have a particular attachment to this car and money is not a primary issue, I would investigate selling it and buying a 289 car if you don't do your own work or enjoying it as a 6 banger which are decent cars in and of themselves albeit not up to the task of a respectable mid-life-crisis. The entire drive train needs to go plus wheels and front suspension work to get you where you need to be. While you are in the front suspension, you will likely want disc brakes and dual master cylinder - get one with it all done, you can be driving it in a month rather than dumping bucketloads of $$$ into a black-hole-mechanic and "issues" for the next 12 - 18 months...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. Update on my car.

Found a great restoration team in northern Maryland for my engine swap and steering/break/transmission upgrades. Lucas Restorations did a top notch job and I couldn't be happier with their quality service and great communication throughout the project. Although mostly a Camaro facility, they eagerly took on my project with exceptional knowledge and quality work.

Had a Blueprint 331 engine placed with 4 speed manual transmission, disc brakes and power steering. Car runs great and can now enjoy it with the family!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts