Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Im just thinking about replacing my whole exhaust system including headers, sometime in the future.

My 66 Coupe has a 302. It also has a double exhaust, but I have no clue if its stock or not.
(is there any way to tell???)
We just installed cheapo Tri Y headers 8 months ago (no idea what brand-if its a brand at all), and the finish lasted about a day. They look pretty bad and rusty alredy.

To make it even worse, the fit isnt really good. It seems like they arent straight (at the exhaust ports), and so theres a lot of noise while acclerating. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Im so pi..ed about them, that I decided to get some better ones as soon as I can afford it.
I also thought about getting a nice new double exhaust system to fit the new headers.

Now heres my question. What would you guys recommend?
If theres any way to afford it, Id love a stainless steel system/headers.
If I go and spend a lot of money ($500-1000?!), I want something good and lasting (no coating that might peel of or something).

Are there any kits that are pre-bent and ready to go?
What are the costs (only want to get a gross idea about it).

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Myself and others have replied about this subject in prior threads, so a search would help with your questions. Anyway, I installed Hooker Competition 6901-1 long tube ceramic coated headers in the Fastback. These were then connected to the Flowmaster American Thunder 2 1/2" dual exhaust system. These components come to about $640. However, I had a local shop make a couple of short connector pipes to adapt the headers to the Flowmaster H-pipe. This added another $40 to the system. So if you install it yourself, the above system should be less than $700 total. These are top notch components, but it is a little loud.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I guess I should do a search then...! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Is your exhaust a stainless one?
Also, what about the ceramic coating of the headers?
Ive heard this will last about two years until it starts peeling off?
Is that true, or how long will the ceramic coating last?

Thanks,
Nick

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I piad about $150 for a set of FlowTech ceramic coated long tubes on our favorite auction site. I then had my exhaust system built by my favorite exhaust shop. He charged me $340 for a 2 1/2" aluminized dual setup with h-pipe, all mandrel bent and the price included all labor, hangers, welded on exhaust tips and Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. IMHO, it's better than anything you'll buy off a shelf because it is custom to my car and headers, so the fit is absolutely perfect ... and the price is about what you'd pay for a system off of the shelf.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts