Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, (finally) planning to sit down and slap on the export brace this weekend (don't even ask how long I've had the silly thing). Of course it came with no instructions, which, when looking at it, doesn't seem that it would really require any. HOWEVER, having been looking through several magazines at different cars in preparation thereof, I've noticed several different methods of installation! To wit:
1) Rear center attached at the firewall ABOVE the lip
2) " " BELOW the lip
3) With the lip of the flange that bolts to the shock tower facing UP
4) " " facing DOWN
What gives? What's correct? Or is it just that these cars are so tweaked after all these years that you have to mount it any way you can get it to fit? Any input?? Please? Heh.
(And, yes, thankfully, I know about jacking the car up over night beforehand by the center of the crossmember to help spread things out!)

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
I've always seen it mounted on top of the flange at the firewall. At the shock towers it sits on top of them -- below the shock mounting bracket. It will cover the factory mounting tabs at the shock tower, which most people knock off -- which I did on my '65 FB.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The export brace only fits and installs one way....on top of the cowl lip in the back. As for the diffent sides up at the shock tower I have no idea what you have seen or where your info is coming from but it will only install one way since the brace is bent to matcth the contours of the shock tower.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I agree... there's no way for it to install incorrectly - even if you tried! If you lay it in place in all the different configurations you listed, I'm pretty sure you'll see the correct way. I can guarantee that you've never seen one installed upside-down. If it were, then the shock tower sections would be aiming up into the air.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was my understanding as well, by looking at the shape of the brace (obviously I haven't tried lining it up on my car yet), which is why I couldn't figure out how people had mounted them so many different ways! Got me to wondering if there was more than one way to do it, and which was correct?

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, thanks, guys! I'm sure it'll all come together once I start working on it. And I certainly wouldn't want to be fodder for any snickering. Ahem. ::
BTW...Dan66: wow, nice car!

·
Registered
762 Posts
Well I've installed two of them just the way folks have told you..my advice is get some coffee and be prepared to spend a 1/2 day on it. Older cars components move under the stress of the years (and damage!) and both of my installs required lots of patience, mechanical leverage and a wealth of lavishly applied expletives. Have the wife and kids out of earshot!

·
Registered
254 Posts
It should look like this.

http://www.mini2.com/gallery/personal/gja_era/40299.jpg

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
To make the installation easier put the jackstands as far back on the front frame rails as they will go...basically right under the floor pan just ahead of the seats. This way the engine weight will make the car sag just enough to facilitate getting the export brace in. If you try to do it with the car on the ground you will never get it installed....well you might but it will be the most difficult thing you have ever done. Use gravity.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great. Thanks, guys. As usual, lots of incredibly useful info!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It only took me about an hour to get mine in. Get a really large phillips head screwdriver. I first installed the three nuts over each of the shock towers. I used the BFScrewdriver to lever into one of the holes and get a bolt in. I used it on the other side the same way to get one bolt in. Be sure to put nuts on the back of the bolts as soon as you get them through the flange on the firewall. The other bolts should at least be able to be somewhat inserted in the remaining two holes. Beat them in with a hammer and install the nuts. Tighten down everything and go for a ride and enjoy the extra chassis rigidity! ::

·
Registered
6 Posts
there is also this brace !
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v202/the66mustang/mustang/strut88.jpg
take a close look ad the schock caps !!
exelent caps for when lowering the front and keeping the same schock travel ! stainles steel materiaal.tube,s and brackets , including backup plates !
here is some more info

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow...that's pretty wild. How's it feel? Is that a home-made contraption, or are they available somewhere?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts