Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 fastback, with a 1971 Windsor 302, and a 1970 4 speed toploader (for a 1970 Ford Torino according to the RUG-AR1 transmission tag). The transmission also has a hurst competition plus shifter. I need to replace the linkages and bushings for the transmission shifter but don’t know what year to order for???

·
Premium Member
11,777 Posts
The mounting point on the tailshaft housing for the shifter on the Torino transmission is in the wrong location for a Mustang. Is the transmission already in the car and does the shifter come through the floorpan in the correct position? If it does then somebody swapped out the Torino tailshaft housing for a Mustang tailshaft housing.
The Hurst Competition Plus shifter is not specific to any year model. You just need a rebuild kit for it.

·
Registered
35,477 Posts
There are also adapter plates that can relocate the shifter to the end of the tailshaft for Mustang applications. Like awhtx says, you need a C/P rebuild kit. I think we both assume that you don't need actual LINKAGES but just the hardware?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes the transmission is already in the car with the shifter coming through the floor pan. according to what I’ve researched the serial tag makes it for a Torino? Is there a specific serial on the tailshaft that I would be able to identify if it was in fact swapped out for a proper mustang tailshaft?

·
Registered
35,477 Posts
Yes the transmission is already in the car with the shifter coming through the floor pan. according to what I’ve researched the serial tag makes it for a Torino? Is there a specific serial on the tailshaft that I would be able to identify if it was in fact swapped out for a proper mustang tailshaft?
The easiest method would be a visual inspection. The Mustang tailshaft has 3 bosses right at the rear end of the tailshaft. The Fairlane/Torino has bosses mid-way up the tailshaft.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I've attached a picture of the '69 Mustang/Cougar RUG E3 (C8AR 7006D W2) toploader that I sold when I installed my T5Z. The pic clearly shows the shifter location Bart is referring to.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I appreciate the feedback! I do need a rebuild kit, as the bushings are gone for the linkage. I do in fact need new linkage as well. It looks as if previous owner broke or shortened one of the linkages because they have welded in a piece a few inches long.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So back to the original part of the question am I supposed to buy linkage for a 70 Ford which is the transmission or a 66 Ford which is the car?

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
So back to the original part of the question am I supposed to buy linkage for a 70 Ford which is the transmission or a 66 Ford which is the car?
Is the shifter installed and complete, or do you need to finish the installation? We really need some pics, as if it's an aftermarket Hurst, then you need a completely different bushing and rod set than if you have a factory Hurst. It would also be helpful to get the casting number off the tailhousing of the transmission.

The easiest method would be a visual inspection. The Mustang tailshaft has 3 bosses right at the rear end of the tailshaft. The Fairlane/Torino has bosses mid-way up the tailshaft.
Yes, and no. The D0ZR-A 70-71 428/429 tailhousing for the Mustang/Cougar used the Torino tail. but machined for the 31 spline output shaft bushing and had the upper rearmost hole tapped. Hurst used to offer that installation kit, but no longer does. The mounting plate is really all that is different from the 289/302/351 install kit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will a tailshaft for a 66 mustang properly mount up to the 1970 ford 4 speed toploader?

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Will a tailshaft for a 66 mustang properly mount up to the 1970 ford 4 speed toploader?
You can swap tailhousings from one toploader to another as long as the length and spline count match.

It would help if you could post a picture of the transmission you have.

·
Premium Member
10,866 Posts
The trans probably C7OR tail. It probably has a 67up Hurst shifter kit. That kit puts the shifter in the correct location. I used the 68-70 24" torino toploaders in several of my 65-66 mustangs. Call Dan Williams Toploaders at 828-524-9085 from noon to midnight. Dan has the correct tail housing if want to change it and might have the Hurst linkage. I also use the Hurst Supershifter2 shifter. The Supershifter2 has a reverse lockout , the Supershifter(1) does not have reverse lockout.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciate all feedback, just finished installing my Dave Kee aluminum tail shaft housing, new shifter bolted right up and came through in the correct position!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts