Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 Fastback ready for painting, what items of the car were painted first?, Im thinking underside then engine bay then body, would this be correct.
Also i have an AMK bolt kit and need advise as to which bolts were painted if any. Were all panels painted off the car then assembled ie none of the bolts were painted or were some panels bolted to the car then painted so the bolts would be painted as well. Hope someone can help.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Underside is painted 1st. There is some debate about the engine bay painted before or after the body, but I think the consensus is to paint the engine bay before the body. The doors and the trunklid were attached when the body was painted, therefore the hinge bolts for the doors and trunk would be the body color.

65 Mustang Convertible 289 C-code
Ivy Green with Ivy Gold & White Deluxe Interior
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571514&a=11942607&p=42928766.jpg

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
The rear valence was attached too but only by 4 screws. Learned this from Mr Turner (hope I remembered right or he's going to think I'm a real doofus).

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

·
Registered
529 Posts
Also looks like the interior was painted after the body. On mine, you can see on the drivers floor where the painter fat-fingered the gun and left a big shot of parchment on the burgundy floor. Also on mine, there's little to no paint on the inside of the roof except for the interior color overspray on the top of the A-pillars.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback
MCA member #46447

1 - 4 of 4 Posts