Vintage Mustang Forums banner

'66 Fastback - getting the vision out of my head

16K views 80 replies 28 participants last post by  maverick_tlc 
#1 ·
I've been on here gathering info and putting my 'storyboard together for the '66 Fastback shell I picked up nearly two years ago on trade for a '93 Cobra. I was concerned with having another 'project' as I was knee deep in my '55 Chevy build.

This is my 5th first generation fastback and I'm taking all I have leaned into this build.

Today I pulled the shell from storage and brought her home. I have spent the past two years amassing parts and putting the storyboard together in my computer. It really has no pure genre, it will be highly detailed, part pro-touring, track worthy, loud, obnoxious and fun. If you asked me two years ago it was going to be another white / blue Shelby clone. If you ask me today I'd say Shelby-inspired but not too rigid.

Here is what I got two years ago. C-code shell on a rolling stand. The pictures were taken at the sellers house in California.

Jeff

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice! Looking forward to the build. My first Mustang was a 65 fastback. Love the story board as well. I have been doing a bunch of planning for my 66 Hardtop. I think it is always better to have a plan and change one’s mind multiple times after a build is started.

#3 ·
At the time I got the shell I had just retired my '90 GT daily driver. She was the willing donor of a set of Trickflow heads and a host of bits and pieces like 13" Cobra brakes.

I picked up a fresh 331 from Coast Performance in Gardena and had them freshen the heads. Ordered up and Ed Curtis custom cam and found my induction setup on eBay - a vintage Borla 8 Stack.

The vision for the engine (picture #3) is a modernized version of a 289 Cobra, instead of Webers I get fuel injection. The tank on the firewall is actually a lawnmower fuel tank configured for venting the crankcase - it took me a while but I found one of those too.

Attachments

#47 ·
@Jmg63 Just found this thread and looking forward to the FB build!

The tank on the firewall is actually a lawnmower fuel tank configured for venting the crankcase
Please do share some info on this crankcase vent as I'm trying to figure out how and where to capture the fluids and, as a former Shelby Cobra (well...FFR) owner, love the idea of dropping some Cobra elements like this into the FB.

BTW...you are going to LOVE the FFR IRS setup. Had it on my FFR and it is the best combination of ride and handling. If you can figure out the geometry, this is probably the least expensive route to IRS in a FB. Surprised no one else has thought of it.

I actually have two bedrooms in my house full of parts.
Yeah, you are the envy of all us married guys. Last thing I did was a seat restoration on my coffee table when single...

Started to install a set of subframe connectors but I'm currently re-thinking that.
Like you I started with a set of TiNMAN subframes, but decided that tying in the length of the SFC to the floorpan and side-exit exhaust were both more important. Another forum member said SpinTech SFCs didn't interfere with his JBA side exhaust (which I have too) so I'm close to fitting the Spin Techs.

Also in L.A. area so hope to see you at a show sometime...

#4 · (Edited)
Wow, he really sold you a clean slate, when you said she'll I was picturing a basket case. Sounds like it's going to turn out great.

Your engine pics posted while I was writing, you have to warn us when you're going to post car pron. I've never heard of Borla stacks, have always listed after Weber's, now I'm going to scour fleabay.

#6 ·
In the two year hiatus from building this car I was amassing parts like a fiend. Craigslist offered up these parts courtesy of a seller who was piecing out his Shelby clone. I actually have two bedrooms in my house full of parts.

R-Model Rollbar

R-Model in trunk fuel filler ( behind it is my gauge panel )

Fiberglass front valence

Plexi rear window

Attachments

#35 ·
Looks like you are setup for a sweet build! Very curious on the trunk fuel filler setup. I’ve thought about trying to replicate that somehow, but as far as I can tell, no vendor makes a kit, so likely pure fabrication on the sheet metal filler.

Looking forward to your updates.

#7 ·
So I had the engine figured out, the transmission and was sitting on a fresh 8.8" out of my GT. Would have to narrow it. Not a big deal but...

Called up Factory Five and claimed their last First generation IRS setup for their Cobra Replicas. This is going to take a ton of work no doubt but an engineering friend already is working on the geometry to allow it to happen.

Rear tires will be 315-35-17 stuffed into the Detroit Speed mini-tub kit and most likely flaring the wheel wells will be on the list.

And yes, when you're single you get to put an independent rear in your living room. If you're currently married, try it out but don't blame me.

Attachments

#8 ·
The car came on a 'dolly' which got converted to a rotisserie. Makes working on the bottom so much easier.

The car had floors replaced at one point - I really don't like overlap seams so that was one of the first 'free' things to get started. Here she is circa 2018 at my place. Started to install a set of subframe connectors but I'm currently re-thinking that.

Attachments

#9 ·
Picked up a set of 5 of these rims for a super low price. Closest thing I could find to the vintage Shelby look in pic 2.

Not sure if they will make the final cut as they would need to be widened for the rear. For mockup purposes I have them mounted on 245-45's but have a pair of 275-40's and 315-35's waiting in reserve. Too many choices.

Attachments

#10 ·
I have been and will be spending an inordinate amount of time prepping sheetmetal. I detest holes that serve no purpose and prefer to keep wiring and bits hidden from view. I punched out a bunch of sheetmetal plugs to use on the core support and inner fender panels. Quick buzz with the MIG and angle grinder and the holes are gone.

Attachments

#12 ·
I sequestered the car in a storage facility last August when the forest fires approached my house - I just took it back home today.

The car will have a trunk mounted battery. One of my pet peeves with that decision and execution is the giant void it leaves in the front corner of the engine compartment. The driver's side gets a nice clean panel and then you look over and see the other. Yuck!!!

Within an hour of her being home I took out the cutoff wheel.

Pictures show: Before, during and proposed.

It will be a mirror of the panel on the drivers front right down to the raised and recessed features. Its just tape for today though I have to make a few die sets for the panels and get building.

Attachments

#14 ·
So that's two years of parts scrounging and trying to figure out what this build is going to be. There are 50 bazillion ideas floating on my head that need to come to fruition.

You're sort of caught up, as I'm still building the '55 my time and efforts will be split amongst the two. Would be nice to have one of them on the road before I get too old.

I'll keep this updated now that she's back at the house. Let's build a '66!

Jeff

Attachments

#17 ·
Blake, here's Tuesday entertainment update.

The plan included removing the cowl vent and replacing with a flat sheetmetal panel. Measured it up, quick drawing and CNC program and burn one on the plasma. Magnets just holding it in place for now. Too late to want to be firing up the cutoff wheel and welder. It will be butt welded with a reinforcement hat section underneath for strength. By the end of the weekend hopefully.

Jeff

Attachments

#18 ·
Part of the vision included removal of the factory padded dash and going with a clean metal dash. Step one is to remove the metal substructure. Cracked open my new Blair Spotweld Cutter and gave the drill a workout.

The substructure gave its life up so its not usable on any of your cars.

The third pic was the inspiration for this. Speaker opening is next - just need to measure it out and get back to the plasma.

No radio opening either. Not sure yet if it will be metal or a factory style delete plate.

One more coming for tonight...

Attachments

#19 ·
Been sitting on these for two years as well.

Mid 2000's Mustang glass rear quarter windows. Yes, I know they make a Plexiglas kit for these but what fun is that.

This will require some major surgery and metalwork but what the heck, so would the Plexiglas kit (I remember from experience).

Glass, interpret that as ALL the glass will be flush mount with no trim. These will be the first two pieces.

That's enough fun for a Tuesday night. Dogs want some attention.

Attachments

#39 ·
Interstitial choice. You just reverted it to the original Falcon dash! The Falcon had no dash pad, just the painted smooth steel. They welded on the reinforcement panels to support the pad for the Mustang.

#21 ·
So the dash was back on my mind yesterday and the bare metal dash just seemed to boring and out of place compared to the shape of the original style dashpad.

Off I went and grabbed some foam board to transform my idea to a working model. I wanted to replicate the look of the padded dash but all in metal.

I will cut the center out of the dash (approx. 6" wide) lower it an inch and push it forward. The dash will then step down at an angle and meet the lowered section yielding a shape similar to a padded '65 dash. The speaker opening will be filled at the same time.

The green taped area at the face of the dash is the area will be removed, lowered and pushed back.

Hope it makes sense in your heads or I might start questioning my sanity.

Also, need some ideas for what to do with the radio opening - there will not be a radio or AC vents but it might need some design element. Ideas? What have you guys done?

Jeff

Attachments

#22 ·
So, the '55 Chevy has been getting the full amount of my garage time but the Mustang is not forgotten.

I've been spending time at work fabricating my sheetmetal parts (at work) and stacking them along with my stash of parts.

Here is the next step for my 'battery delete' inner apron.

Measured off the existing apron, laid it out in the cutting software for the CNC plasma at work and blasted out a bare panel yesterday afternoon to test fit. Fitted it up last night and need to make a few adjustments.

Right now its just the flat panel - I'll add the bends later. The general location of the recesses are shown - it mirrors the driver's side.

Once I get the exact locations nailed I'll fab up the die sets to emboss the panel. So far it looks just like I want it to.

Jeff

Attachments

#43 ·
So, the '55 Chevy has been getting the full amount of my garage time but the Mustang is not forgotten.

I've been spending time at work fabricating my sheetmetal parts (at work) and stacking them along with my stash of parts.

Here is the next step for my 'battery delete' inner apron.

Measured off the existing apron, laid it out in the cutting software for the CNC plasma at work and blasted out a bare panel yesterday afternoon to test fit. Fitted it up last night and need to make a few adjustments.

Right now its just the flat panel - I'll add the bends later. The general location of the recesses are shown - it mirrors the driver's side.

Once I get the exact locations nailed I'll fab up the die sets to emboss the panel. So far it looks just like I want it to.

Jeff

Jeff, I was also thinking of doing the same thing. I will be happy to pay for one of those panels for my build...Please let me know!!

#26 ·
Wheels look nice and not the same few designs most people run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.