Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing the USCT frame connectors soon. The car is on these casters that are bolted to the bumper holes. Should I be concerned about the body shell bowing on these? The door gaps are perfect right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
If your door gaps are perfect, then I would assume you have no bowing happening.

Ideally you should install sub-frame connectors with the car in a loaded position (sitting on its wheels). But, with a fully disassembled car like yours, checking the door gaps is really the only way to ensure everything is sitting where it should be.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Use a long level and check level side to side and front to rear. If you get front frame rails level and rear are withing half a bubble, you are probably pretty good. Same for side to side. Then measure from corner to corner. If any of these are off, you may have some frame twist, probably from 55 years on the road or old collision. If not bad you may be able to use some weight and jacks to bring it back in line.

I really don't think you will have much issue with body bow on a hard top, particularly a fast back. Convertibles (or rusted cowls) are where you will really have concern. With no engine or suspension, as long as everything lines up you shouldn't have any issues. On my 65 Fastback, I had already replaced cowl, floor support, firewall, patched the floor, checking and rechecking as I went, before I put mine on rotisserie and I had ZERO flexing when I raised it and welded the SFCs on.

·
Registered
35,927 Posts
Assuming I was going to install sub-frame connectors (aka floor support extensions), which I wouldn't, I would only do so if everything was perfectly straight relative to the measurements shown on the Liskey diagram, otherwise you're just reinforcing something that is bent or crooked.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Assuming I was going to install sub-frame connectors (aka floor support extensions), which I wouldn't, I would only do so if everything was perfectly straight relative to the measurements shown on the Liskey diagram, otherwise you're just reinforcing something that is bent or crooked.
That kind of flows with my post...make sure it is straight before welding it in place.

Never heard sub-frame connectors referred to as floor support extensions, some SFCs don't even touch the floor supports, they tie in at the front frame rails and torque boxes and then tie in to the rear frame rails.
The Spintechs that I installed on mine DO box in the floor supports but they tie in at the front frame rails, support the floor the full length and tie very solidly into the rear frame rails. MUCH stronger than stock.
Looking at the first picture, the side I haven't started on looks downright flimsy in comparison to the installed side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Should I be concerned about the body shell bowing on these?
No. Mere gravity on an empty shell unibody is nothing as there are no dynamic forces involved. By definition a unibody is engineered to be self supporting. If you're confident your shell is shipshape, go ahead and install your SFC's. Most instructions for installing connectors assume a completed fully weighted vehicle, and yours isn't. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,727 Posts
Let's all not miss the fact that the bare shell of a 1965/66 Mustang 2+2 is a thing of beauty just by itself. I can't quit looking at the first picture.

Reactions: Huntingky

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thing of beauty for sure. I agree. I could just as easily set this in my basement as mancave art. Especially since I have wanted a 65/66 fastback since the 80's.
I will install the subframe connectors after I double check the measurements of what it should be.

·
Registered
35,927 Posts
That kind of flows with my post...make sure it is straight before welding it in place.

Never heard sub-frame connectors referred to as floor support extensions, some SFCs don't even touch the floor supports, they tie in at the front frame rails and torque boxes and then tie in to the rear frame rails.
The Spintechs that I installed on mine DO box in the floor supports but they tie in at the front frame rails, support the floor the full length and tie very solidly into the rear frame rails. MUCH stronger than stock.
Looking at the first picture, the side I haven't started on looks downright flimsy in comparison to the installed side.
The front subframe rails end at the firewall/cowl. From there, rearward, are the extensions which are supports for the floorpan. The front suspension and engine loads are transmitted to the subframe, to the cowl, across the cowl to the torque boxes and rocker panels and up the windshield pillars to the roof (exc. Convertible), then from the rockers into the rear torque boxes to the rear subframe rails.

Connecting some square stock across the floor from the rear subframe rails to the front subframe extensions will stiffen the floor. The effect on torsional rigidity is almost zero and unless your rockers are structurally compromised it adds little to additional stiffness (unless you somehow think the rocker units are bending....).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts