Vintage Mustang Forums banner

'66 FB vents

879 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  Guest
Did '66 fastbacks come with a gasket on the rear vents? I was looking at an old ford diagram of the back glass, and it shows the window gaskets with their part #'s, but there is also an arrow pointing to what looks like a gasket on the vents. I thought there wasn't one, does anybody know?
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
No they did not have a gasket. My 65 2+2 did not have them and also a 66 2+2 nor the 68 FB that I stripped did not have a gasket either. They use a putty that is similiar to a plumbers putty if I remember correctly.
The 66 assembly manual doesn't show a gasket or sealer of any kind. The only prep work mentioned for that area is to apply blackout paint to air extractor cavity.

Vintage Burgundy 1966 Mustang GT Fastback (Midlife's younger brother)
MCA member #46447
There were no gaskets on my 65 FB , just a bunch of now-hard but probably originally flexible black putty. I'll replace it on reassembly to hopefully keep leaks to a minimum.

Also, FYI - I intend to hard-line plumb with ABS or PVC the drain from the vents directly through the floorboard. Just another invisible and cheap mod for peace of mind - Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry
dickson- Does your car have the softer rubber hose that connects to the drain holes. They used the wire hose clamp to connect and hold them in place. I would use a heater hose instead of rigid plastics because they may crack or break from vibration. Rigid plastics are designed for solid and non-moving installations.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.