Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I install a reproduction front bumper on my 66 coupe. This car is mostly repro front end parts and I have been working on it for 12 years (since complete disassembly). The original parts were damaged beyond repair so at the end of this epic street car "Frankenstang" build the bumper has large end gaps not to mention the struggle with the bumper brackets.
See pics, I just want to know if I bought a mislabeled bumper or this another POS from China.
20200807_164659[1].jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,011 Posts
It looks like the correct bumper to me. Maybe if you loosened the bumper mounting brackets where they attach to the frame rail, tighten the bolts that attach the bumper to the brackets and then tighten the bracket to frame rail bolts the bolts would tighten up straighter.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I got the “new improved” bumpers from NPD and honestly they fit very well..Yes I did a little tweaking but I’m picky about gaps..

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
The fit on the original post looks pretty good to me... it's not supposed to be against the body.

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
Honestly, that bumper to fender gap looks just about concours.

·
Registered
832 Posts
That gap is exactly how my OEM bumper fits. I thought I had a problem the same as you, but that’s just how it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the responses.
I feel better about it now. Sitting on the car right now all brackets and bolts are a little loose, I'll tighten them up and see what I have and fine tune from there.
Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
4,290 Posts
I will say the next time I paint my car, I plan to put some small thin pieces of rubber between the painted surface and the hardware to be sure it doesn't cut into the paint etc.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts