Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
35,460 Posts
I agree that the only real concern is that the gauge show full when full and empty when empty. Neither the CJPP or NPD parts can manage to do that.
I'd be interested to know who made them. CJ and NPD don't. They just sell them.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I'd be interested to know who made them. CJ and NPD don't. They just sell them.
Well I can 99% guarantee that we'll never hear an answer to your question from CJJP (hell they claim to not have the personnel to take care of regular daily customer service questions and I'm guessing they don't have the time to monitor/interact on a car forum) but I'd be willing to bet that Rick @69bossnine will probably chime in once the weekend is over and he's back in his office.

John

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have dealt with this repro problem on my Mach 1 as well as a '67 Fairlane GTA. When this came up last year I posted how I re-did mine, more involved. As others said, I had to bend the pickup to just touch the bottom of the tank. I bent the float arm to touch the bottom BUT also read about two gallons on the empty mark on the gauge so I wouldn't run out of gas. Due to the design (or lack of) it is way off at the full reading as well as in between. As I added two gallons at a time from empty, I recorded the gauge reading. I keep a copy in the console of both cars if I want to know what my actual gallons are at a given gauge reading. Attached are pics of an original variable resistor and the repro linear resistor that's been discussed.

Attachments

·
Registered
825 Posts
And most buyers don't care how accurate the 1/2 tick is.
I find that interesting, because I find it really annoying if a fuel gauge are way off between full and empty. It makes it hard to guess how many miles you actually have left in the tank. I ended refueling way to often with the repro sender, though I knew from the refueling that the gauge was off to the low side at half tank. Gauges loses alot of their usabilliy when you know they are way of.

·
Registered
646 Posts

Just add one of these. It says it calibrates Empty, Full and 2 other points, that should allow you to have an accurate gauge.

·
Vendor
3,820 Posts
I've read the thread, and some of the issues I just can't explain. All I can say is the following:

1. Back when we developed our NPD-brand sending unit, the goal was to duplicate the original Ford unit as closely as possible, while keeping it in the $20 retail price-point, because back then that's where all the competition and demand was. At least a half-dozen NOS Ford C8ZZ-9275-C sending units were "sacrificed" to the manufacturer for bench-marking and testing.

2. I even went so far as to weld the float rod directly to the rheostat, and paid for tooling to do the brass floats, just because.

3. No effort was made to attempt to duplicate/accommodate the tapered nature of the tanks and original rheostat. Nobody else was doing that at the time, and such a rheostat was not commercially available to our knowledge. But I went through two other rheostat sources before finally finding one that would give a nice methodical progression through the range, and not jump around like a mexican jumping bean. So our rheostat, while linear, is good quality.

4. To date, I believe we've sold over 10,000 of them, with relatively few complaints or returns. I've had reports from friends/acquaintances who have said "man, it's perfect!!", and then we get reports that are all over the map or total failures. I don't know what to say, other than after we sell-thru this last production-run, I'm going to hang up my hat on fuel senders, and buy 'em the same way everyone else does. From someone else.. LOL.. There are so many variants and manufacturers on the market these days, we're already dedicating half a catalog page just to various fuel senders, and it's getting tough to figure out "which is best" anymore. I do know the actual manufacturer/factory that builds the units for ACP, and I could buy those same units direct, bulk-quantity, if I liked. But I'm honestly to the point that I prefer to have a state-side middle-man supplier who's "responsible" for any mishaps or issues, with a good insurance policy.

In the end, it's like anything else here at NPD. We did the best we thought we could, and most of our 9275-1A that go out the door seem to work well. But for some, they do not. And in those cases, a free replacement or a refund is just a phone call away. The best we can ever do is stand-behind the product, and if all else fails, return your money to you.

Rick
NPD

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Rick,

Thanks for the refund. I am so kicking myself for trashing the original one not knowing the issues with new ones and that the pickup filters are available.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts