Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a website that had a thick steal plate that bolts ontop of the gas tanks in our 1st generation Mustangs. It's supposed to prevent the gas from entering the car in the event of a dreaded rear-end collision. Any one have one of these and would they recommend them? Sounds like a cheaper way to go than the fuel cell alternative.

Thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
I know others will give you a direct answer to your question, but let me just get on a soapbox for a second /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. Have you:

1. Put in 3-point harnesses?
2. Replaced the current steering column with a collapsible one?
3. Put radial tires on your car?
4. Put in a dual reservoir brake system?
5. Put in halogen headlights?

If not, you'd be wasting your money on the gas tank "fix" when there are dangers that are much, much more likely to kill or maim you.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Agreed CBoz....But if you've got the ~$175 it can't hurt.

www.tankarmor.com Dickson

G

·
0 Posts
IMHO, $175 should go in one of the other things first, though. Or better yet, a better carb! Yeah, that's the ticket..

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have one in my car. I view it as one additional item to make the car safer along with the three point seat belts, radial tires, dual MC, etc.

Lou

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Yeah, I have a "Tank Armor" plate over my fuel tank. I've yet to fully test it...thank God! Uumh...I bought it because the tank top is so flimsy. What I didn't want is to have pin hole leaks in the top from throwing the jack handle, jack, etc. in the trunk. It fits well and makes the trunk a lot more rigid. I'm happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts