Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I took my gauge panel apart last night to install the white face gauge overlays as well as updating to a woodgrain panel. I noticed that 4 of the lights have blue covers attached via a small rivets to the inside panel. The other couple bulbs are open with the bulb only sticking through the panel.
Are they all supposed to be open (clear), blue or is the mix I have on mine correct? It seems weird but since the blue covers have small rivets holding them instead of a small screw it appears they were not installed by previous owner.
Secondly, can the bulbs be upgraded to a brighter bulb sourced at local parts store or should I just go ahead and order the Scott Drake LED bulbs?
Thanks for the input.....

·
Registered
711 Posts
The blue lens along with the yellowish incandescent lamp gives the speedometer and gauges the green hue. Turn signals and high beam indicator have their own appropriately colored lens. If you keep the incandescents, now would be a good time to replace the blue lenses. I've found the newer 1895 lamps have molded lugs that don't hold in the socket well and I source older GE 1895 when replacing. Led lamps would be brighter, but can also have trouble staying in the socket.

·
Registered
'66 Ford Mustang, 351w, auto
18 Posts
Can I just say, stay away from SD LEDs.

I had better luck using a combo from amazon and superbrightleds.com, some rubber o-rings, and otherwise new bayonet sockets for the courtesy lights. I used LEDS in the 3000k range for a warmer glow.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
I took out my blue lenses and installed an aqua-green set of LEDs. Love em.
20180921_230257.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blue lens along with the yellowish incandescent lamp gives the speedometer and gauges the green hue. Turn signals and high beam indicator have their own appropriately colored lens. If you keep the incandescents, now would be a good time to replace the blue lenses. I've found the newer 1895 lamps have molded lugs that don't hold in the socket well and I source older GE 1895 when replacing. Led lamps would be brighter, but can also have trouble staying in the socket.
That makes sense about the colors. I will have to decide about the LED vs incandescent lights. I definitely don't need the hassle of constantly trying to get them to stay in place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can I just say, stay away from SD LEDs.

I had better luck using a combo from amazon and superbrightleds.com, some rubber o-rings, and otherwise new bayonet sockets for the courtesy lights. I used LEDS in the 3000k range for a warmer glow.
Thanks for the warning...... I am always holding my breath when it comes to ordering SD parts. I am batting about 50% with previous items for fit and function issues.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I originally bought the sd LED's, and regretted it. They had a nasty habit of falling out, especially after reinstalling the instrument panel. Then I got LED's from superbrightleds.com, and have had no issues with them. I used their LED's also for the turn signals, which really light up at night a bit too much. But, they allow me to see if I left a turn signal on during the day because the indicator is behind the rim of the steering wheel and not easy to see. I removed the blue light covers which allows a bit more light on the gauges.

·
Premium Member
5,282 Posts
Those look good...... What brand of LEDs did you use and where did you purchase. Not sure I will do that direction but I would like to research them.
Those are a set of bulbs I got from Mustangs Unlimited years ago, probably the SD ones, and I don't have an issue with them falling out of my car, but you may get a better value and get dimmable blubs from superbrightleds.com / @gtonavy . I don't know if he was around when I got mine. Mine aren't dimmable but don't really need them to be. I bought the set for a 67 or 68 that had more bulbs for the same price so I had enough to do my Rally Pac. I plan to get a set of amber or white ones for my son's Emberglo 66.

Reactions: gmack

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I originally bought the sd LED's, and regretted it. They had a nasty habit of falling out, especially after reinstalling the instrument panel. Then I got LED's from superbrightleds.com, and have had no issues with them. I used their LED's also for the turn signals, which really light up at night a bit too much. But, they allow me to see if I left a turn signal on during the day because the indicator is behind the rim of the steering wheel and not easy to see. I removed the blue light covers which allows a bit more light on the gauges.
Thanks for the info...... I will take a look at the superbrightleds

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Originally there would've been blue covers over all of the dash illumination lights. They've got little tabs on them that push through the frame and are melted on the other side to hold them in.

Usually they're either half melted or at least burned a bit by people putting hotter bulbs in, or just age after 50 years.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
The turn signals should have cardboard tubes to prevent the white(ish) light from bleeding over to the gauges.

Now is a great time to create a wire pig tail for your dash so that you can disconnect it with one plug. A 12 pin Deutsch, Glarks or similar plug will work.

Reactions: myfirstcar66

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The turn signals should have cardboard tubes to prevent the white(ish) light from bleeding over to the gauges.

Now is a great time to create a wire pig tail for your dash so that you can disconnect it with one plug. A 12 pin Deutsch, Glarks or similar plug will work.
Thats a good suggestion..... I will definitely look into this.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
What I did was create one wire pig tail for everything to the left of the speedometer and another one to the right of the speedometer. It definitely makes pulling the instrument cluster out a lot easier.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
What I did was create one wire pig tail for everything to the left of the speedometer and another one to the right of the speedometer. It definitely makes pulling the instrument cluster out a lot easier.
Yep. I made mine long enough that I can pull it out and let one end of the cluster touch the floor so that I do not have to disconnect it if I am just working on something behind the cluster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts