Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to duplicate an aluminum sheet metal fab I saw a number of years ago. But am having way too much fun with the radiator support side due to the wavey surface. The one I recall was attached to the top of the grill fore and top of the radiator support aft. The hood is fiberglass and p :shrug: inned-no latch hardware to worry about. Any store bought leads would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lemondrop,

Just for looks. I am running a fluidenye radiator, it is channeled and bolts to the Rad support using the stock fastner positions. I am trying to dress up the grill rad area at this time. I will check out NPD, thanks for the heads up.

Pat

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I spent most of my car time this weekend fitting on of these kits. I bought mine from M/P and it is polished stainless steel. I am going to have it powder coated a matte black finish.

I am only installing this because the top flat edge of my rad support is so wavy. It is just a mess and this seemed like an easy way to clean it up.

I pulled my Monte Carlo bar off and bolted the side pieces in place. I found that the side pieces extend over the rolled edge of the inner fender. I marked the underside of the pieces with a scribe and filed each to fit. Once they fit correctly I installed the Monte Carlo bar and drilled the one missing hole for the Monte Carlo mounting.

The strip over the rad is slightly wider than the edge. so I positioned it so the front edge lines up but the rear hangs over. I had purchased 10x24 socket-head stainless screws with finishing washers that have rolled edges. The kit comes with 1/4 x 20 bolts, but I wanted to use the smaller screws to give me a little "fudge" play in case I had to adjust its position. I started in the center and worked my way out to each end. One end of the strip ended right against the side piece, the other side overlapped by more than 1/8 of an inch. Back to the vise with a file.

I purchased some black rubber channel to protect the paint on the front fenders. I also have some for the engine side of the rad support strip.

Once I get it installed I'll post some photos, it looks good against the air foil that I installed between the grill and rad support.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
66hc,

Sweet looking project. I look forward to seeing your pics. You will alway be Mr. Clean to me.

Well Done!!!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts