Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm removing the front calipers on my 66 GT to clean and paint. The caliper bracket bolts have a male "E Torx like" head but looks like a 12 point head. Can I use a standard 12 point socket on these. Just want to ask before I try and strip the head.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
Not sure if you have the stock bolts there. But I will check and see what mine look like when I get home in a few minutes. It has been a long time since I've had mine off

·
Registered
297 Posts
It would want to be a 'Very' good fit..
Might be worth it to buy/borrow a torx female socket set..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
I just looked at mine and they are six point.

·
Premium Member
13,174 Posts
A lot of the ARP fasteners (maybe all of them?) have 12 point heads and a standard 12 point socket fits them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the great info. I'll be pulling the calipers tomorrow now that I know what I'm doing.
Special thanks to Chock for the photo. That's what mine look like.

·
Registered
10,084 Posts
Seems like I’ve seen the 12-point caliper bolts before...... maybe not on the 65-67 Mustang units but on the big Kelsey Hayes calipers (Galaxies). Pretty sure I’ve got one of the bolts in my junk drawer.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
961 Posts
Seems like I’ve seen the 12-point caliper bolts before...... maybe not on the 65-67 Mustang units but on the big Kelsey Hayes calipers (Galaxies). Pretty sure I’ve got one of the bolts in my junk drawer.
ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
I have seen them on dozens of unrestored Mustangs, they are correct.

·
Registered
10,204 Posts
Notice the safety wire on the caliper mounting bolts. That is the way to wrap the knot in the wire.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That isn't the way it's done on aircraft. Stainless wire is used, twisted between the bolts, threaded through the bolt heads in the tightening direction and ends twisted outside the bolt group. But is that needed on a car...I doubt it.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Thanks everyone for the great info. I'll be pulling the calipers tomorrow now that I know what I'm doing.
Special thanks to Chock for the photo. That's what mine look like.

That's what mine look like also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts