Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen lots of '65 GTs with '66 GT gas caps on them. Did some late production '65s actually get these caps or are folks just using them because they like them better?

What's everyones opinion on doing this?

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I am not sure if any 65's actually got 66 caps from the factory, but if you like it, why not do it. I have one on my 66 coupe and it is not a GT or a GT clone. I like it, I had it, so I run it.

If you can deal with knit pickers telling you that you have the wrong gas cap, go for it. 99% of people will not know. (the 1% will be at the car shows /forums/images/icons/smile.gif)

·
Registered
467 Posts
Yeap, you can use it if you like the look, by the way I don't like the knit pickers a lot

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
My 65 GT has a build date of 20V (August 20th). IIRC, August 21st was the first day for 66 cars. My car did not have a GT gas cap.

G

·
0 Posts
We recently ordered a 67 hubcap, and got a 65 repro! Maybe the ones you saw weren't as informed as you are!
Seriously, I am not a nit-picker, but ours (both coupes, 67 and 66 with nothing special under the hoods) are already nearly all original, and we would like to keep them as authentic as possible, even though neither is likely to make the car-show circuit.

·
Registered
282 Posts
For it to be original, go with the 65 cap.

...but if you want to be a cowboy...!

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I like the looks of the '66 cap...but, it would drive me nuts if one was on my '65. I prefer the stealth resto mod approach! I was just wondering what other thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts