Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Please clarify your want/need. Are you looking for cushion with pony (deluxe) upholstery, the cushion frame or what?
Sounds like you want complete with black pony upholstery. Not sure but almost positive GT is unrelated to your request, hardtop
(coupe) may be same as vert cushion.

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
I am pretty sure all convertibles and coupes used the same rear seats. Only the upholstery was different for Pony interiors.

·
Premium Member
6,591 Posts
Convertibles and coupes had totally different rear seats. Vert's were narrower due to the top mechanism.

One reason why upholstery is such a nightmare for a dealer

Coupe
Convertible
Fastback

Deluxe
Standard

Buckets
Bench

There are 28 different interior color codes for 1966 alone, so with coupe convertible and fastback, it takes 84 big boxes just to 1 box for every possible interior code.

That is why you see so many boxes of upholstery at swap meets, "unopened" that are 10 15 or 20 years old, because some dealer, long out of business, bought a boatload of upholstery, and no one ever bought the 1966 Parchment with Ivy gold trim for a bench seat convertible, and the dealer went bust, and that box of upholstery has been making the swap meet rounds for 20 years.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
There are 28 different interior color codes for 1966 alone, so with coupe convertible and fastback, it takes 84 big boxes just to 1 box for every possible interior code.

That is why you see so many boxes of upholstery at swap meets, "unopened" that are 10 15 or 20 years old, because some dealer, long out of business, bought a boatload of upholstery, and no one ever bought the 1966 Parchment with Ivy gold trim for a bench seat convertible, and the dealer went bust, and that box of upholstery has been making the swap meet rounds for 20 years.
Perfect! I need upholstery for a 66 convertible with a bench seat and parchment/ivy gold interior. But it has to be for a GT.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Please clarify your want/need. Are you looking for cushion with pony (deluxe) upholstery, the cushion frame or what?
Sounds like you want complete with black pony upholstery. Not sure but almost positive GT is unrelated to your request, hardtop
(coupe) may be same as vert cushion.
Rear bench seat, Pony Interior (although doesn't have to be) and black. The convertible had a distinctly different sized seat than the fastback or coupe.

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
"I am pretty sure all convertibles and coupes used the same rear seats."

No, They are not. "MustangerBob1" is correct.

The coupes and convertibles had different rear seats and rear seat frames. The Coupe's Rear seats are a bit wider, and longer than the Convertible's Rear seats and Seat frames. I've seen some people use Coupe Rear Seats for Convertibles...and they will fit if you jam them in there....but they are hardly correct, and anyone whose knows anything will know the difference.

All the Original OP needs is an original '64-'68 Rear Seat bottom for a '64-'68 convertible... Whether it is Pony Interior or Whether is it for a bench seat car make no difference and is irrelavent. All the '64-'68 Convertibles carried all the SAME rear seats for '64-'68. The only differences was in the outer upholstery, and some minor differences in the foams and listing rods....real minor stuff.

If the Original OP doesn't like doing his own upholstery... then he'll just need to find a Black Pony Interior Rear Seat bottom from a '64-'66 Convertible with a Black Pony Interior.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I am pretty sure all convertibles and coupes used the same rear seats."

No, They are not. "MustangerBob1" is correct.

The coupes and convertibles had different rear seats and rear seat frames. The Coupe's Rear seats are a bit wider, and longer than the Convertible's Rear seats and Seat frames. I've seen some people use Coupe Rear Seats for Convertibles...and they will fit if you jam them in there....but they are hardly correct, and anyone whose knows anything will know the difference.

All the Original OP needs is an original '64-'68 Rear Seat bottom for a '64-'68 convertible... Whether it is Pony Interior or Whether is it for a bench seat car make no difference and is irrelavent. All the '64-'68 Convertibles carried all the SAME rear seats for '64-'68. The only differences was in the outer upholstery, and some minor differences in the foams and listing rods....real minor stuff.

If the Original OP doesn't like doing his own upholstery... then he'll just need to find a Black Pony Interior Rear Seat bottom from a '64-'66 Convertible with a Black Pony Interior.

:eek:)

Tony K.
Helpful info-- not I can expand my search to a 64-68 version. Thanks!

·
Registered
33,985 Posts
Perfect! I need upholstery for a 66 convertible with a bench seat and parchment/ivy gold interior. But it has to be for a GT.
Um, the fact whether the car was a GT or not had absolutely nothing to do with upholstery. Zero.

Also, the rear seat had nothing to do with whether it had a front bench.

So, what do you need, just upholstery?

OK, here are the questions:

What year? 1966
What color/style? Ivy Gold Deluxe
What body? Convertible

Oh, and you should know that the bench seat interior was NOT available as a deluxe interior. A good dealer can custom-order that for you from TMI, but it will be
non-returnable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Um, the fact whether the car was a GT or not had absolutely nothing to do with upholstery. Zero.

Also, the rear seat had nothing to do with whether it had a front bench.

So, what do you need, just upholstery?

OK, here are the questions:

What year? 1966
What color/style? Ivy Gold Deluxe
What body? Convertible

Oh, and you should know that the bench seat interior was NOT available as a deluxe interior. A good dealer can custom-order that for you from TMI, but it will be
non-returnable.

I did specify in my original post, Pony Interior, convertible, black, 66 rear bottom seat (the whole thing). Thanks! I don't remember what it looked like.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts