Vintage Mustang Forums banner

66 Hardtop Le Mans stripe - decals

523 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  RTM
Hi all I am tinkering with the idea of fitting a Le Mans Stripe kit to my car and I have read painting is the recommended option but I think am going
to go the decal kit route if it looks no good or I change my mind I can remove it if needed has anyone got any advice on this idea or any pics of there own cars where the decal kit has been fitted the decal kits don't look to bad I don't think ?

My car - Candy Apple Red with foglamps and side chrome sill moulds no side stripes similar to below pics not sure either the dual 10" stripe or maybe the single stripe looks good too.

Were the originals painted or decal kit optioned after sale, most of the current brand new Mustangs have decal kits fitted to them as an accessory and aren't painted..

Cheers, (y)

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
8,133 Posts
The original stripes were painted. However the vast majority of Shelbys never had the stripes when they left the Shelby facility. Many people had them added later by the dealers, and many dealers added them to help sales.

· Registered
4,397 Posts
Personally I would only put Lemans stripes on a fastback. They just don't quite look right on a coupe not to mention being kinda overdone especially with the little dip around/above the back glass. Just some thing to consider. The best looking stripes for a 65-66 coupe are GT stripes.

The only coupes with stripes I think look awesome are Terlingua style cars and vintage racers. Unless the car is set up to resemble one of those, I'd pass on the stripes.

Probably the best looking stripes for a coupe are really only an option on 67-68 with the turn signal hood. The stripes are only up front with none in back. Always wanted to try to make a turn signal hood for 65-66.

If you are set on doing this, I would use the template for the proper dimensions so that it looks right when done. If you just run 2 equal width stripes front to back it doesn't look the same. If not done this way they look too narrow on the roof etc. Some kits or painters may not follow this.

STENCIL KIT, LEMANS STRIPE - #16B906-1 - National Parts Depot

Shelby stripes(old question I know!)

IMG_9639NCs.jpg

Sunlit Gold 1968 Mustang Gold Nugget Special

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info,
I think the white one above looks good with the gold stripes,
I didn't realize they were different widths can anyone recommend a seller with a decal kit that reflects the size difference all the kits I have seen sold are just 10" all the way across.

· Registered
525 Posts
That white does look good.. I’ve been thinking about stripes for my 66 HT also.. might need to find a local shop to get the stripes right, you definitely want them tapered.. doesn’t look right if not.

· Registered
5,110 Posts
It’s been many years ago but I recall a place having the decals and I think you could buy the cut outs to use for painting the stripes too. I need to see if that is still an option as I getting closer to paint. I’ll paint my stripes on. Candy Apple Red with Gun Metal silver stripes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts