Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 doesn't blow hot air. I could have used a defroster this morning.

I'm a novice when it comes to electrical stuff, so I'd appreciate some advice on how to determine if I have a problem with my switch or my motor.

All the connections look OK and I just inherited my first volt meter from my Grandfather and think I know how to use it.

Simple problem - I flip the switch and nothing happens - the fuse is new and I checked it.

Ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
go into the engine compartment and on the passenger side of the firewall is the heater blower motor and 2 wires. run a ground to the black wire after disconnecting it and a wire from your battery plus side to the other wire after disconnecting it and the motor should run. if it doesnt the motor may be froze up and need servicing or replacement.if the motor runs then you need to run a wire from the plus battery to the yellow wire on the front of the heater box and then try your switch. if it runs then its the resister on the front of the heater box.if not it sounds like your switch. wes

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll clean the wires and try to find which one is really black in the engine compartment, but I did not see how I could disconnect those wires.

It looked like they ran straight into the motor. I'll check again.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
436 Posts
OK, so you don't mean it "doesn't blow hot air", you mean it's not blowing at all? It could be the switch, the motor, or a dozen other things. Personally, I would run a 12 volt lead from the battery directly to the motor itself and see if it works or not (unless you have a schematic and know how to use the multimeter). If the motor works by jumping it to the battery I would suspect the switch...

·
Registered
713 Posts
I had the same problem, and it turned out to be the resistor 3 prong connector. That may not be it, but it only takes a few seconds to unhook it and clean the connection. Otherwise, you are probably looking at replacing the switch on the control panel or replacing the resistor switch.

·
Premium Member
19,215 Posts
You can still get hot air with an inoperable fan motor. Just move the slider down for the heat and adjust the temperature. If you're moving, air will flow through about as well as full fan. The fan really takes over when the car is not moving.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Midlife is absolutely right. What I found last night is that the tubes for the deforster were not connected, so I connected them and was able to use heat and defrost this morning as long as the car was moving.

I did run a wire from the battery to the heaters' blower motor and it did nothing, so I'll probably replace the motor. Before she was gone for 2 years the motor sounded rough anyway, so after 41 years I guess I'll replace it. I'm sure its not too expensive, but taking that heater apart took some time if I recall. When I bought the car it had that original cardboard setup. It was falling appart and I replaced it with plastic and its lasted quite some time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts