Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop forgot to drill the holes for the antean, emblems and rocker trim on the NOS fenders. Now the car is painted so I would asume to heat the paint up, I have the templates for the emblems only, should I use a center punch?? Just looking for thougts here.

Also how about the antena hole 3/4 inch looks like/??

Now on the rocker trim I do not have a template for the clips, whats the best way to do this.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
The only question here is why you haven't taken yourself, your receipt, and your Mustang right back to those idiots!

·
Registered
673 Posts
Um, woah, that sucks... after I painted my 68, I realized that the aftermarket 289 horses in the fenders had slightly different hole patterns than my stock ones did (I'm told there were two hole patterns for these emblems in 68, weird).

Anyway, the best way I found to drill the holes (try this on a piece of sheet metal first) is to mark the location with a sharpie, then put a piece of masking tape over the dot (you should be able to see the dot through the tape). Drill your hole through the tape. The drill bit will not slip on the masking tape as easily as it would on the glossy paint. Try it a few times on some scraps, and you'll see what I mean.

Thespazardman

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Use thespazardman's suggestion of the masking tape to help protect the paint. For the rocker molding clip, first you have to determine where to drill the hole for the front bolt. Then with the front and rear bolt retainers slid out of the rocker moulding, you can set the rocker moulding up against the car, and resting on top of all the other clips. Then put the new clip up against the the moulding, mark the 2 holes, drill them, pop rivet the clip on and re-install the end bolts to the molding. This is the way I installed the rocker clips on my new fenders, and gave it a "custom" location for the clip and the molding ... worked out perfect. (hope that whole thing made sense).

If you always do what you've always done,
You'll always get what you've always got

http://www.classic-mustang.net/johnpro
http://www.classic-mustang.net/john66/mustang/pics/66fsides2.jpg

·
Registered
900 Posts
The suggestion of using tape is a good one, but forget the center punch unless you have access to the backside of the panel as well. Unless you support the area from the backside, when you hit the center punch you might dent the panel...not good for a new paint job. Make sure the drill bit you're using is sharp and let the bit do the cutting, i.e. not too much muscle on the drill. Good luck.

EdK (Ed Kennedy on old forum)
'66 Coupe, '94 GT Convertible, 2000 Explorer XLT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts