Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I know exhaust system discussion suggests ricer all over it-but I must ask a few questions about I6 exhaust on a 66-

I'm assuming it is a single exhaust setup, seeing as how it is an I with 6 and all-how loud is it? Does it have a catalytic converter, a muffler or resonators? Also, if It does have a catalytic converter, is it legal to remove said converter, seeing as how the car was made before these laws?

Last one-is it possible to go dual exhaust on an I6? Probably very small diameter pipes, but I much prefer the symmetrical, more muscular look of duals. I just don't know how it would hook up, as I've never worked on an I6 before.

Thanks,

~Gowrons

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I6's are not what anyone would call loud in stock condition... the are single exhaust with only a muffler - no resonator or catalytic converter (these happened in the 70's). You CAN put duals on a 6 but to do so you need to go to headers and install an exhaust port splitter between the #3 and #4 ports... all this stuff is available from Clifford performance and lots of good info is available at http://www.fordsix.com/ good luck and let us know how things turn out. ;)

·
Registered
858 Posts
um yea dude...u wont see cats on those things lol, that happened when emissions and gas crap kicked in...74 and up i believe....my advice i think..not sure but ask some 6 owners...dont bother w\the mufflers if u have a 6 lol, see how loud it is w\out the muffler..might be an improvement :p

·
Registered
876 Posts
You may also have to modify your rear brake line as with dual exh. they can burn the stock flex line.

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
1975 was the first Model year for the Catelytic conveter and unleaded gasoline. Notice California has the rolling exemption on the '74 model year on back. Of course, if someone retrofited an '80's I6 into your '66, you may see some pretty goofy stuff hanging off your exhaust manifold.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Registered
493 Posts
actually when looking at exhaust, you can get dual pipes without modifying or changing your manifold.
I when to the local muffler shop and had them install a full exhaust system on my I6 '65, Flowmaster makes a splitter that converts the 1 2 1/2" pipe into 2, then 2 mufflers and 2 tailpipes. I am happy with the change and it is a lot louder then i thought the I6 was gonna be (using Delta Flow series mufflers) am about to change to a V8 so all i have to do for exhaust is cut the pipes before the mufflers and run 2 new ones. The full install from manifold to tailpipes ran me about 400 bucks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts