Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the 66 a month ago after it had been sitting up under cover for over 5 years. the body was in good shape but it needed a new convertable top. I began working on the engine.. I changed the oil, new plugs, wires, rotor button, fuel filter and distr cap and it fired up. Shortly after it began running rough and acted like it wanted to stall after it had been running for a while (20 minutes or so).. I put in new points, condenson and rebuiltautolite 1100 carb. Same thing happens.. It runs real good and then about 20 minutes into the running. it starts to sputter and not respond. Any ideas

·
Registered
637 Posts
Well the only thing that fundamentally alters the running condition of an engine once it warms up is the choke. What sort of choke does the car have, is it fully open, and have you adjusted the idle once it warms up?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has an automatice choke and yes I did adjust the idle. When I first got the car running, it did this, so I thought it might be the carb. so I got a rebuilt one and it still does it..

·
Registered
637 Posts
You might already have covered this one, but just in case...

Once a car has been sitting that long, the fuel tank and fuel lines tend to start sending all kinds of dirt & debris to the carb. If you have a fuel filter right ahead of the carb, replace it, and while you are at the car parts place, buy 5 more filters. In Montgomery, I use the Carquest right next to O'Reilly's on the Atlanta Highway. They are the best in town.

Just keep swapping those filters until you get all the trash out of the fuel system. Sometimes it takes a while (like a couple hundred miles).

If you are good on the state-of-tune, and the choke is set right, I'm guessing you are sucking up trash into your carb as it runs. Buy a rebuild kit and redo those carbs, I'm guessing both are good once they are cleaned back out.

Once a car has been sitting that long, it's better to just pre-emptively replace the tank and let the fuel filter catch all the gunk in the lines.

·
Registered
249 Posts
After it warms up and it start to sputter have you checked to see it the choke plate is wide open. Also check/replace the coil.

·
Registered
9,022 Posts
+1

Choke problem.

Check choke spring and adjustment. Use Ford Shop manual.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts