Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a member since '01 or '02 but have had to re-register numerous times. I had this information saved, but that was three or four computers ago. OK, what all is necessary to install a '66 instrument panel in a '65? I had the wiring diagrams but can't find that now.

-Joe

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
The correct way to do it is to get a 1966 Wiring Harness, and a 1966 Engine Harness (either V8 or I6), and then change the Oil Sender and Temp Sender to 1966 5-dial Cluster Senders.

That's the RIGHT way to do it.....

Some people try to piecemeal it together.....but lots of things just won't work right... and they find that out as they go along.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
The correct way to do it is to get a 1966 Wiring Harness, and a 1966 Engine Harness (either V8 or I6), and then change the Oil Sender and Temp Sender to 1966 5-dial Cluster Senders.
The TEMP sender for the 65 and 66 are the same since both use a temperature gauge. Definitely have to change out the OIL sender. When it comes to the AMMETER...good luck with that.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
At the cluster itself, you can squeeze the 66 in or trim the opening a bit. The 66 opening had a semicircle depression removed to make it easier to install the cluster. You also have to bend out the retaining tabs. When the cluster screws into. In 65 they were bent one way, in 66 they were bent another direction.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Didn't the '65 GTs have a 66' style bezel? Or where there still differences between the '65 GT bezel and '66 bezel (other than cosmetic).

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
Didn't the '65 GTs have a 66' style bezel? Or where there still differences between the '65 GT bezel and '66 bezel (other than cosmetic).
When the GT came out in late 65 it basically had the 66 cluster and a similar harness.

Reactions: xj220

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
"The TEMP sender for the 65 and 66 are the same since both use a temperature gauge"

Not exactly the same though as don't they have different fittings at the end?!??? One has a "Clip-On", and the other has a "Push-On/Screw-On" type.

Thought that they were different. I'll have to look at my '65 later out in the garage...

Tony K.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
"The TEMP sender for the 65 and 66 are the same since both use a temperature gauge"

Not exactly the same though as don't they have different fittings at the end?!??? One has a "Clip-On", and the other has a "Push-On/Screw-On" type.

Thought that they were different. I'll have to look at my '65 later out in the garage...

Tony K.
65 is a clip on. 66 is push on IIRC

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
"65 is a clip on. 66 is push on IIRC"

That's what I thought...

:eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts