Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys did the 66 have lights in the driver door and the passenger door? I ask because the car I'm redoing for my son has a light in the passenger door but not the driver door. And the driver door when shut lines up with the lines of the car except about half way down. The door it sticks out from where it should sit flush with the Rear quarter. Thinking some one put the wrong door on.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Lights in the door are an option. They're not standard on the cars. Though if they're on one door they should probably be on the other. That or there should be a big hole where they used to be.

If you're looking them up, I think they're part of the Interior Decor Goup. That would also probably include the pony seats, wood paneling on the dash, and other trim like that.

If you think someone's replaced the driver's door you might be able to tell by comparing the VIN on the door's warranty plate to the VIN under the hood by the shock tower. They might have been lazy and left the plate on from whatever car they got the door off of.

·
Registered
35,323 Posts
Ok guys did the 66 have lights in the driver door and the passenger door? I ask because the car I'm redoing for my son has a light in the passenger door but not the driver door. And the driver door when shut lines up with the lines of the car except about half way down. The door it sticks out from where it should sit flush with the Rear quarter. Thinking some one put the wrong door on.
You are correct. The door-mounted courtesy lights were part of the deluxe interior option. Not available separately, someone used the wrong door for a repair.

·
Registered
35,323 Posts
Damn it ok that's what I thought so I need to find a door with a light. I figured it was the wrong door just by the way it sits on the car. It closes well and lines up with the body lines but I have a gap towards the bottom of the door
Good news- The easy way to balance the car is to buy a light and install it in the blank door.

Bad news- The door was the same shape with or without the light. In your case, a badly installed quarter skin. The outward curve of the door is supposed to be there, and the quarter, which is flat, should also be curved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think the quarter has been replaced I did some measuring and the door is actually thicker by a little more than a 1/4 inch on drivers side than on passenger side. Measuring from inner edge of door out to outside edge. The door is not the same as my passenger side door as far as measurements go

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The door may be thicker, but it lines up nicely top and bottom. The bow in the middle looks correct too. I'm with 22GT, that quarter looks too flat.

·
Registered
35,323 Posts
I don't think the quarter has been replaced I did some measuring and the door is actually thicker by a little more than a 1/4 inch on drivers side than on passenger side. Measuring from inner edge of door out to outside edge. The door is not the same as my passenger side door as far as measurements go
No way its that flat quarter original. BTW, all 65-66 doors were identical. They did not come in "thick" or "thin" versions. Do you have a repro door, perhaps? We need a lot more photos.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'll grab a few more pics tonight at different angles. You guys might be right just doesn't look like the quarter has been replaced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can live with it the way it is this is going to be my son's first car so it don't need to be perfect. It just annoys me when I can't figure out why it is this way lol.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Open the door and give us some pics of the quarter

1 - 14 of 14 Posts