Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
before and after pics of the wifes 66 interior. Over the past couple of weekends, I gutted the interior, repainted the dash, door and rear panels, redyed the carpet and replaced the cracked kick panels, gauge bezel, shifter bezel, and 20 year old steering wheel cover... I threw out the vintage 1980's cassette deck for an original 66 AM... luckily they didnt cut the dash for that cassette deck. They did enlongate the control knob holes a little, but nothing the original knobs couldn't cover... New door panels and armrests are coming soon.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Super nice job.
How did you re-dye the carpet, I take it you didn't remove it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Originally the carpet was in good shape , but was sun faded pretty bad...I removed the seats , sill plates and kick panels and vacuumed the carpet. Then I used "Rit" liquid fabric dye RIT: Products
I used a spray bottle of hot water and started with a weak mixture and tested the area under the back seat. After finding a mixture ratio that I liked , I misted the carpet until damp and scrubbed it in with a bristle brush.. (Wear rubber gloves).. I ended up using about 4 caps of dye to a quart of hot water. After a couple of hours in the sun, it was dry and ready for reassembly

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh Yeah I forgot to mention , Thats an IPOD docking station under the AC in the last photo...I am debating whether to leave it there or put it in the glove box.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wow, looks really great!

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Looks great! A fresh interior always makes the heart warm - Especially when behind the wheel! I tried the RIT dye on my black carpet with less than stellar results a couple years back. I probably didn't have a strong enough dye mixture. I may try again....

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks great! A fresh interior always makes the heart warm - Especially when behind the wheel! I tried the RIT dye on my black carpet with less than stellar results a couple years back. I probably didn't have a strong enough dye mixture. I may try again....
I would think that with black carpet you couldnt get the dye mixture too strong , ( short of straight dye concentrate ).
I looked at buying some of the Dupli Color carpet dye in a rattle bomb can, but couldnt find a dark brown only tan.
I used the Rit color "Cocoa Brown" and was really worried that I would get it too dark, but I figured , The worst thing that can happen is I have to buy new carpet.
For less than $5 , I am very happy how it turned out .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts