Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for Disc brake conv. kit for my 66 Mustang.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
There are tons of options out there, and you did not give any details about the direction you are wanting to go.
Here is one of the more popular options that is also probably the cheapest way to go!
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/html/body_catalog.html
They sell the Granada style disk brakes. They also have spindles that are made to fit perfectly on your 65-66 front suspension. I had the Granada brakes on a '67 coupe and they were great.

Many other options out there if you want to spend more $$.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Why put the SMALLER, less Braking power, wheels don't fit, Granada Disc Brakes on their MUSTANG, Endure the Bump Steer, when they can put the Correct Geometry MUSTANG Disc Brakes on for the Same Money. It is a Total Mystery.

Dan @

Chockostang

www.chockostang.com

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hey Chocko!

First of all, your link don't work. I don't have any idea what kit you are refering to.

Secondly, this path has been well traveled for anyone that cares to do a search on Granada conversions. The bump steer issue has only been a problem for cars with major suspension mods and lowering. And besides, if you go with the 'diskbrakeswap' kit, they make the spinde with the upgraded geometry to eliminate this problem entirely.

The wheel fitment issue is only a problem if you are running stock drum wheels (most arn't). And I found it easy to have the Granada rotor hubs turned down to fit my '67 styled steel wheels. I think you can even buy the rotors that are already turned down.

I don't have any personal stake in this. I just offered up my opinion, which has proven to be shared by many around here in the past.
The only option for a disk brake conversion that is more "cost effective" is the scarebird brackets. I personally don't like this option, because of the use of non-Ford parts.
The Granada/Maverick/Comet suspensions are nearly identicle to the early mustang engineering. The conversion is a "slam dunk" in my opinion. You should not have to worry much about components not working well together. Especially now that you don't need to go hunting in junk yards to find these parts.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
CHOCKOSTANG said:
Why put the SMALLER, less Braking power, wheels don't fit, Granada Disc Brakes on their MUSTANG, Endure the Bump Steer, when they can put the Correct Geometry MUSTANG Disc Brakes on for the Same Money. It is a Total Mystery.

Dan @

Chockostang

www.chockostang.com
Smaller? I believe the Granada rotor is 11", that's
as big or bigger than disc brakes of the time.

I like the idea of parts availability of the
Granada brakes, go to any parts counter and they
have them, some aftermarket kits have special
parts with limited availability.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
That is the Misconception of the Granada Brakes, You are Absolutely Correct, they are 11".

All, EVERY 65-73 Mustang, Fairlane, Comet, Cyclone Rotor was 11 19/64". This is the Factory Diameter off the assembly line.

All replacement rotors are the same, and Fit the 14" Factory Disc Brake wheels of the period. 65-73 . CORRECT Center Holes!

Folks have been misled in to believing they will have better brakes withe Granada Brakes Versus the ORIGINAL Disc Brakes, when in fact they will have greater braking by installing the correct 65-73 Mustang Disc Brakes.

Caliper Pistons are also Larger in the 68-73 Mustang Calipers. Bigger Push on the Piston, Better Brakes.

65 66 67 Calipers are ALL 4 Piston K/H Style Calipers. A note on this as well-If your 65 66 67 Mustang is a V8 from the Factory with Drum Brakes, You WILL NOT NEED TO CHANGE SPINDLES. Your Present Spindles will Accept the Original Factory Brackets to change over to Factory 4 Piston Disc Brakes. NO Difference in the Spindles of the V8 Cars Drum, Versus Disc--Exact Same Spindles.

Not to mention the Value gain, Value loss.

Any Collector will tell you a Correct Classic Mustang with Factory options is worth more than a incorrect, cobbled up, incorrect Mustang. Try to get a Serious restoration shop to put on Granada Brakes!!

A Classic Mustang with MUSTANG Brakes will bring more money than a Mustang with Incorrect, inferior Maverick/Granada brakes. A No Brainer.

Price differences are VERY Little. When factoring in the Greater Braking Ability, the Value GAIN, then the Factory Brakes are by far the best value.

Get informed on what you are buying, ASK Questions before you buying. Don't be fooled by the Description of All Factory Parts!!!---Some these listed as Mustang, Fairlane Factory Brakes are in reality Maverick/Granada.

The Real Mustang Brakes are Available on the internet by the Thousands, at prices nearly the same as Granada????? No Shortage now, never will be.
AGAIN, be a informed buyer, ASK Questions.

One last note---Google, "Bump Steer Granada Brakes"---Get Informed.

Thank You.

Dan @

Chockostang

www.chockostang.com

217 882 2083

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Thanks Mark for letting us know our link wsn't working. Appreciate that VERY Much.

Google-- Chockostang, that will get you to our store.

Again, Thanks

Dan

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Somebody got pissy. 66GT, I did the granada kit from discbrakeswap.com and love it. Very easy swap also.

·
Premium Member
4,935 Posts
blue65coupe said:
Somebody got pissy. 66GT, I did the granada kit from discbrakeswap.com and love it. Very easy swap also.
Was thinking the same thing, bold response.

Many people have done the Granada swap and are
happy with it. The Granada swap started out as
a affordable easy disc brake swap. Since then
there are many other options available, Stainless
Steel Brakes, Scarebird, OEM factory style and
I'm sure many others, all have there pros and cons.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Dan (Chocostang), Your link is still not working! i would love to see how your pricing compares to diskbrakeswap/Granada kits, but your not making it very easy!

I am sure that the original 4 piston calipers and extra .015 inch of rotor is superrior to the Granada brakes, but I doubt that it is a huge deal for most of us. Keep in mind that 15-20 years ago, our options were very limited and even the Granada swap was not widely known about. I actualy upgraded my first '67 I6mustang to v8 drums because i could not afford the +1k cost to put original disk brakes on. If I had known obout the Granada swap, I would have gone that route.
I would also point out that the 4-piston KH brakes were not perfect either! They are Heavy as hell and many had problems with them not grabbing evenly. I have heard that the stainless pistons help a ton with this. 'Wonder why ford switched to single piston brakes for '68? Cost to be sure, but customer complaints about the relatively high maintenance design was also a factor.

For performance, resale value and coolness, I am with you all the way!! For practicality, you cannot ignore the Granada option.

And Bumpsteer is NOT a factor in the discussion. The geomtry is identicle on 67-68 cars. And you can now get the Granada spindles with the 65-66 geometry if you want.

I really don't have any interest in either path right now. I am putting the 'mustangSteve' Cobra brakes on my current project. I just know that I have used the granada brakes in the past and they were a great option.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Mark,

THANK YOU for writing.

We have no Problem with the Granada Vendors, if Presented appropriately.

Granada Brakes work Fine when setup accurately, a upgrade for those (As I did in the 60'S) went to the yard to get parts for My Fords, , ANY Parts, I could apply, made them work, Loved it!

Our main issue here we receive calls DAILY from folks we sent Genuine 65-73 Mustang Disc Brake Parts to how ordered for correct replacement parts.

They recieve the parts, only to find, our accurate, correct, Mustang, fairlane, Brake parts (Calipers--Rotors-Hardware) won't fit.

Then to find after, Hours of Phone conversation, their Mustang, Fairlane, Etc had Granada Brakes applied.....

Hours invested, Wasted time!!

We spend a Great Deal of Time helping, guiding those in the rebuilding of their Classics.

If all the Granada sellers would just exclaim, put it their listing, adds, they are selling Granada Brakes, it would HELP the Buyer make a ration decision, relieve a GOOD DEAL OF EXPLIANING, Time, on our Part, and the other Mustang, Fairlane Vendors that sell the Accurate, Correct Year Correct brakes. Believe me, we are not the only ones faced with this Problem..

One More Point here,

Mustang Steve Kinda Started this. He Never Scurted the Issue ,He Called these Granada Brakes, GRANADA BRAKES, from the Get Go! Proud of his Accomlishments,Finding, and rightfully so. , And for sure Let Folks know what they were buying.

Bottom Line, Hopefully the Granada Vendors will exclaim their products in the listing, let folks know what they are buying.

Dan

Call ME 217 882 2083.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts