Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I inherated a motor shake problem on the '66. It has JBA headers at least 3 years old. No shake in forward, get fairly severe shake/vibration in reverse. Looked at the trans mount last weekend, did not replace but looked OK. Tightened all the motor mount bolts tonight. The 'thru' bolts required some tightening. Seems to shake as badly afterward. As I recall, JBAs of that vintage suggested changing motor mounts. This car, while it should have HiPo mounts with the 'upper donut' does not. The insulator looks like a standard 66-68 mount according to the pic in NPD catalog, uses only a thru bolt front to back to connect to the frame mount. I placed a 2x4 under the oil pan and jacked the motor up some to see if a broken mount, looked ok, but not certain I raised it enough as i did not want to DUFUS the aluminum COBRA oil pan. Suggestions? I'll post a pic of the mounts tomorrow..

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
65's needed different motor mounts as I recall. As I recall this was for a clearence problem not a shake problenMy. My 66 did not need later motor mounts; my JBA's bolted up fine.

·
Registered
989 Posts
If you're getting shake problems upon low acceleration it might not be the motor mounts but it could be that you have some oil on your clutch disc instead. Does it shake when you really get onit? Are you leaking any oil anywhere?

Doc the moneymanager

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, everything is dry. Only shakes when starting out in reverse. It avoid it, I have to rev it up and feather the throttle/clutch to get it moving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts