Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hope everyone is well. I'm trying to replace the tailpipe on my 66 289 2B Vert with single exhaust (end cut to short).
I removed the clamp and the tailpipe will move up and down freely but will not slide out. I've tried using a rubber mallet for persuasion but it doesn't
move outward at all. Obviously it's not a stock muffler but I can't figure out why it won't come out, any suggestions?

Stay safe!
NCF

·
Registered
758 Posts
Been there done that. I feel your pain. Many times the clamps used to put the pipe and muffler together squeeze down just enough to cause a slight indention of the tailpipe against the muffler. Add a little rust and it becomes virtually impossible to get them apart. If you aren’t going to re-use the tailpipe you might try cutting slits in the tailpipe on the part of the pipe that overlaps the muffler. Be careful not to cut through the muffler pipe. This should give you an opening that you might be able to spread open a little with a hammer and chisel. This is how I did it anyway. Had to buy new tail pipes but it was better than buying a new system.

·
Registered
383 Posts
We use to heat the muffler red hot with a torch and the pipe just slides right out. The problem is it not good on the plating on the muffler.

Another thing you could try is moving the clamp back against the muffler. Stickling a second clamp on the pipe close to the muffler's outlet. Stick two good size diameter bolts with nuts on them between the two clamps and unscrew the nuts it might press the two tubes apart? You will need to keep moving the clamp forward on the pipe. The hardware store should have extra long nuts which would make it easier. If its rusted together or has a deep crimp in the pipe its probably going to take heating red hot and twist and pull on the tailpipe at the same time.

The hot ticket is to use stainless band clamps that do not crimp the pipe. Stick a little never seize on the tubes where they slip together. Ford used these clamps on there F600-F800s. We had to pull the pipes all the time when pulling transmissions. They always easily slid apart.

·
Premium Member
2,641 Posts
Try a little penetrating oil, let soak a while, and get it hot by driving it. Then knock the hell out of it with a BFH.

·
Registered
34,687 Posts
Don't be afraid to damage the old tailpipe. Oil combined with twisting and pulling is your easiest path to removing it without muffler damage.

At least it's not original. On those, the tailpipe was welded to the muffler to control the installation angle of the muffler.

·
Registered
34,626 Posts
Cut the old tailpipe about 3 inches from the muffler. Using a suitable heat source... ie. torch, heat the area "squished" by the muffler clamp until it is cherry red. Lightly tap the stub pipe IN about an inch to push the crimped area out, let cool and pull the stub right out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts