Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I bought a 66 mustang to rebuild. Ive had issues with grinding on startup even after replacing the starter. Upon removing the flywheel to redo the ring gear I realise I have a 136t ring gear. Apparently 132 and 157 are the only ring gears listed for this year.
I have a 3spd manual and a 9"clutch on the flywheel.
Do I just have the wrong size flywheel, bellhousing and whatnot, or is this just a rare case?
I found a ring gear that have matching teeth and dimensions, but its listed as a 1970s mustang ring gear, is that what I need and why?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Shimming the starter will push it further out, sounds like you need it further in, right? If the teeth are chewed on the ring gear, I'd start there. If they're rounded off, and your starter is worn, might just be time for both..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shimming the starter will push it further out, sounds like you need it further in, right? If the teeth are chewed on the ring gear, I'd start there. If they're rounded off, and your starter is worn, might just be time for both..
Ok, thanks. Im definitley going to get a new ring gear. The starter looks fine, I'm just unsure if its the correct one. Do you know if the 132t, 126t and 157t ring gears all use the same starter?

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
AFAIK yes, the starters are the same. It's the bell housing that offsets it to where it lines up with the ring gear. Larger rings, larger bells, starter placed properly.... as long as the ring and bell are a match that is!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AFAIK yes, the starters are the same. It's the bell housing that offsets it to where it lines up with the ring gear. Larger rings, larger bells, starter placed properly.... as long as the ring and bell are a match that is!
Ok, prefect! I think tjis is exactly what I am looking for. The flywheel size is all dependant on the bellhousing, so I just need to make sure that all lines up then.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts